Text errors and suggestions

hook71

Hi,

I discovered a few mistakes in the original English version while working on the French translation of BG2EE (https://github.com/r-e-d/correctfrBG2EE), there was also a wrong token used but I believe Lefreut already have reported it here (<PRO_CHARNAME>). I have launched a pull request on the main repo. :)

6511, 7417 and 7421 are about the murder of the Order knights "disguised" as ogres (Ajantis, etc.), Garren cabin is south of the battlefield, not north.

7148 is about the drow summoning ritual, Ardulace will offer the fake eggs to the demon, not the dragon.

/*
jazira
It is south of the battlefield, not north
*/
@6511   = ~I do believe that you are correct. We should make our way there now. He said that it was just south of the battlefield, did he not?~

/*
jazira
offers the demon the fake eggs, not the dragon
*/
@7148   = ~The drow summoning ritual

Phaere has told me of Ardulace's plan in its entirety. The drow intend to invade the surface... to what end, I don't know. But Matron Ardulace's ritual is going to summon a great demon to aid the drow. The dragon eggs will be sacrificed to the demon in return for its service, and this will place House Despana in great favor with Lolth.

Phaere intends to betray Matron Ardulace and has coerced me into helping her. She wants me to go to the Despana treasury (in Lolth's temple) and replace the silver dragon's eggs with fake eggs that Phaere has had made. Then when Ardulace offers the demon the fake eggs, Phaere can step in with the real ones.

I must be careful if I go to the treasury... killing the guards, if it is done, must be done discreetly if at all. And even once I get the eggs, the city has been sealed by Matron Ardulace... there is no escaping. I must continue to play along... for now.~

/*
jazira
*/
@7417   = ~I do believe that you are correct. We should make our way there now. He said that is was just south of the battlefield, did he not?~

/*
jazira
*/
@7421   = ~Aye, south of the battlefield as he had said. You make the correct choice, <CHARNAME>.~

On 4/22/2022 at 3:07 AM, CamDawg said:

Whitespace review is done. I made one slight change to argent's tool (attached) if anyone wants to give it a shot, namely, it wasn't preserving the associated sound files in its output tra file.

It looks like some spaces were added intentionally. For example, that's the case for lines that are composed of multiple strings by the game engine (e.g. attack rolls when To-Hit Rolls are enabled in the game options).

These lines are listed in ENGINEST.2DA, and are potential candidates for keeping their "surplus" whitespace:

BGEE:
@24172 = ~ has nothing to say to you.~
@14643 = ~Attack Roll ~
@16468 = ~Find Trap Mode ~
@16466 = ~Turn Undead Mode ~
@15917 = ~Party AI Off ~

BG2EE:
@14643 = ~Attack Roll ~
@15917 = ~Party AI Off ~

IWDEE:
@14643 = ~Attack Roll ~
@15917 = ~Party AI Off ~

PSTEE:
@68592 = ~Attack Roll ~
@68620 = ~ Find Trap Mode ~
@68692 = ~ Turn Undead Mode ~
@68748 = ~ Party AI Off ~

I have noticed it only for the attack roll string. I don't know if the other strings have some use in the game (outside of debug info).

Edited by argent77
Fixed section of line @24172

Indeed the space at the end of 'Attack Roll ' is necessary.

For 'Party AI Off' (and 'Party AI On'), it's used in a tooltip alone so it's ok to strip the extra spaces.

For 'Find Trap Mode' and 'Turn Unded Mode', I don't know if these strings are seen in an EE game.

Edited by lefreut

0xF00041 doesn't have a leading space in my BG2:EE installs: "has nothing to say to you."

0xF00070 and 0xF000C5, ("Find Trap Mode " and "Turn Undead Mode "), appear unused — the engine doesn't reference them.

0xF0010F and 0xF00110, ("Party AI Off " and "Party AI On"), as lefreut says, are only referenced in UI.MENU by their real strref:

function getPartyAITooltip()
    if aiButtonToggle == 1 then
        return Infinity_FetchString(15918)
    else
        return Infinity_FetchString(15917)
    end
end

Kinda defeats the point of the enginest entry.

8 minutes ago, Bubb said:

0xF00041 doesn't have a leading space in my BG2:EE installs: "has nothing to say to you."

You're right, it belongs to the BG:EE section. However, I'm not sure if this string is actually shown in BG:EE when you talk to a character without valid dialog.

1 hour ago, argent77 said:

However, I'm not sure if this string is actually shown in BG:EE when you talk to a character without valid dialog.

The engine displays it when:

Action #139 PlayerDialog():
    [ Dialog forced because MoveToObject() failed, (I haven't observed this ever happening)
      AND Fails to enter dialog window
    ]
    OR
    [ Fails to enter dialog window
      AND SPEECH.2DA => EXISTANCE has no valid entries on target cre
      AND SPEECH.2DA => SELECT_COMMON has no valid entries on target cre
      AND [ target EA != ENEMY || SPEECH.2DA => HOSTILE_DIALOG has no valid entries on target cre ]
    ]

The string gets trimmed when being displayed so it doesn't really matter if that leading space is there or not.

Edited by Bubb
Formatting is hard

Still the case. That ability hits as a spell. I'm not sure there's even a mechanism in the engine to make it work the way the description claims; the few AoE effects in the game that have a to-hit check only check it for the primary target anyway.

I'd be inclined to edit the description on this one. Both the spell description and the relevant section of the class description.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:01 PM, markzaku said:

The item description for Blazing Glory +3 (bdblun09.ITM) in BG:SOD contains the following sentence: This glittering morningstar was crafted by weaponsmiths in the Temple of Tempus in Waterdeep.

Got it. Checked and found a leftover morningstar in IWDEE (Kiel's, so unused) and one more in SoD (Martyr's Mornignstar).

On 6/18/2022 at 6:02 AM, argent77 said:

PSTEE, strref 59886:

On 6/4/2022 at 4:42 AM, Andrea C. said:

When you first meet Jaheira in SoD, she says, "I was trapped outside Bridgefort, Khalid within."

On 6/2/2022 at 12:27 PM, Andrea C. said:

There's a note in SoD's dwarves of Dumathoin's dungeon that says it's got " a gray stain on it back." It should obviously be "its".

Check, check, check. On to page six. (And a little oopsie).

Edited by CamDawg
On 7/12/2022 at 5:37 PM, Jazira said:

I have launched a pull request on the main repo.

Cheers, these were merged a while back.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:36 PM, lefreut said:

I didn't check if it's still the case, but if it's true, which one should be fixed, the description or the spell?

Yeah, I'm with @jmerry on this one. The descript (kit and spell) has been updated.

Edited by CamDawg

Some inconsistencies in spell descriptions.

Cone of Cold Area of Effect: BGEE/SoD 17-ft. cone with 90-deg. arc, BG2EE 18-ft. cone with 90-deg. arc, IWDEE 20-ft. cone with 60-deg. arc.

Glyph of Warding Area of Effect: BGEE/SoD 25-ft. radius, BG2EE/IWDEE 12-ft. radius.

I'm very unsure about what will follow. But I might have discovered a typo in BG2EE.

Viconia is asking Charname to lay with her for the night, and this is one of his possible replies.

@27512 = ~I can think of nothing less appealing.~

But curiously, Viconia does not seem offended afterward, and keep going...

Maybe a positive answer would be more suitable?

@27512 = ~I can think of nothing more appealing.~

As I said, I'm not sure at all about it. You might want to check the full dialogue with Near Infinity. What are your thoughts?

Edited by Jazira

I think what you pointed out has merit, Jazira.

I don't really know what the intention was with "I can think of nothing less appealing." but it does sound and feel completely off. Just changing the "less" with "more" doesn't sound like a good solution to me either though because at the next reply node CHARNAME can firmly dismiss Viconia's proposal and that would be in direct contrast with what the revision you suggested would imply. I think that the best alternative is to introduce a reply which prompts further elaboration from Viconia. It would not really be needed but since CHARNAME needs to say something I believe that would be the less damaging possibility.

Inside the GTU revision for BG2 I have now tentatively changed that string to something quite different:

@27512  = ~What kind of night are we talking about here?~

If someone has a reason/explanation for keeping the original one please intervene.

Edited by Salk
21 hours ago, Guest Morgoth said:

I don't think the text you are mentioning warrants a revision. You are taunting viconia a bit with that line of dialogue.

It would be very uncharacteristic of Viconia to completely ignore such a taunt and continue pleading for CHARNAME's company, if that is indeed how we're supposed to interpret that line.