Lurker's EET install: eet-modpack_2023-09-17_v2

(original content of this comment slot)

Bugs and other issues:

Various notes to myself:

• Check for Tony again
  • the Black Talon issue
  • multiple things
    • Viconia skipping lovetalks: supposedly not a bug, depends on player's resting habits
    • Sarevok's alignment change not triggering, while all conditions are met
      • partially explained here, although still no reliable clue to what was causing this
    • don't keep a Blackguard close to a good-aligned character who's going to use Turn Undead
    • what's up with the backticks in Longer Road?
      • do I really need and want to understand text encoding issues; will this silly subject never die?
  • have another look at Carsomyr, to better understand FA's changes, and how AutoDescription handles both original and modded versions
  • matching modded game with matching saves without constantly having to readjust symlinks
    The engine_name variable within engine.lua in the game folder defines the profile subfolder's name (aka the folder in Documents). Changing that one variable ensures that the entire duplicate is sandboxed if necessary. (Graion Dilach)
  • What was my source for Jaheira Recast and Chatty Imoen? (dead repo is not in my bookmarks)

(this list is getting longer and longer; needs restructuring at some point)

Edited by Lurker
switched content with the one from next comment

(if I missed to update any link pointing to my current list of notes, they moved up here)

On 10/28/2023 at 3:06 AM, Graion Dilach said:

That klatu install looks to be the last SHS version instead of the TGP version with the manual of War-on-EET fix. Also, if you use the tip of MiH_EQ, you don't need FIX_CRE.

Could you be a bit more verbose, please? Or provide links? I've a collection of accumulated links to various GitHub repos, but usually try to stay with the "official" versions of mods.

The Manual of War worked fine in my last, but terminally doomed ToB-only game. At that point, it also doesn't feel overly overpowered. I've a link in my notes about the general issue, but that points to SHS forums, and I guess we sadly all know how useful the information buried there currently is...

I also get the feeling, regardless how much I like all those really cool gameplay tweaks and the possible options in how to combine them, when I see the increasing number of stacked effects on my individual party members in Near Infinity, I'm less and less surprised about the increasing number of crashdumps in my game save directory...

Edited by Lurker
switched content with the one from previous comment
15 hours ago, Lurker said:

modinstall skills-and-abilities "710 720 70 80 100 170 300 312 400" 0
#^^^^^^^^^ 180: doesn't work with rr bard songs

I've personally switched over to Bardic Wonders from Artisan instead of RR. Like vanilla songs, Bardic Wonders' songs behave the same way and interact correctly with songs lasting 1 turn.

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Could you be a bit more verbose, please? Or provide links? I've a collection of accumulated links to various GitHub repos, but usually try to stay with the "official" versions of mods.

The Manual of War worked fine in my last, but terminally doomed ToB-only game. At that point, it also doesn't feel overly overpowered. I've a link in my notes about the general issue, but that points to SHS forums, and I guess we sadly all know how useful the information buried there currently is...

I also get the feeling, regardless how much I like all those really cool gameplay tweaks and the possible options in how to combine them, when I see the increasing number of stacked effects on my individual party members in Near Infinity, I'm less and less surprised about the increasing number of crashdumps in my game save directory...

The-Gate-Project; https://github.com/The-Gate-Project/klatu-tweaks-and-fixes/commits/master

Tip is the latest commit on the primary branch in Git terminus. Using MiH_EQ tip is fine and actually better than v5 here.

2 hours ago, morpheus562 said:

I've personally switched over to Bardic Wonders from Artisan instead of RR. Like vanilla songs, Bardic Wonders' songs behave the same way and interact correctly with songs lasting 1 turn.

I'm into RR for the Skald (walking juke box that mostly obsoletes Chaotic Commands or Mind Blank, party wide, plus serious combat bonus) and the CoC encounter. The Blade is meh.

I'm very picky when using Artisan's mods. Some components from HouseTweaks caused severe lag and where hard to track down for me back then, for example. I used Bardic Wonders for a Black Pits run a while ago, which lead to this, that and the following discussion. In current versions of HouseTweaks, the component to restore the reputation increase sound effect all of a sudden will only install on BG2:EE, not on EET. I patched the (working!) component from an earlier release (good luck figuring out which version is which) into the version installed here, locally. His work is too sloppy, in my opinion.

Btw, reading that comment again reminded me what I did with your CotSF and Templar kits. The result is quite OP, especially when combining it with the right tweaks, but it works really well. I was curious if I could do it, and Paladins deserve all the love they can get. I'd like to ask, @morpheus562, if you were perchance willing to readopt it, perhaps as a munchkin easter egg for your kitpack? The way it is, it withers away in my current modpack...

@Graion Dilach I don't remember anymore where I got my version of klatu from, but as I said, I try to stay with official releases where possible. Has it been adopted from TGP? Having to keep up with forks is something I try to avoid, usually.

20 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm very picky when using Artisan's mods. Some components from HouseTweaks caused severe lag and where hard to track down for me back then, [...] In current versions of HouseTweaks, the component to restore the reputation increase sound effect all of a sudden will only install on BG2:EE, not on EET. I patched the (working!) component from an earlier release (good luck figuring out which version is which) into the version installed here, locally. His work is too sloppy, in my opinion.

The lagginess only happened  - it's fixed now -, when EEEx was installed alongside HouseTweaks, a non-EEEx run wouldn't experience it (HouseRules' previous way was triggering too many EEEx hooks), which is why it remained there for long. The reputation sound limitation is new to me, I'm not sure why that change was oversimplified. And yes, the lack of tagging releases results with some releases being skipped by the website links, but I honestly never noticed that.

I don't have that impression from Artisan's output being sloppy though overall. Especially when there's a modder here with a past issue history including unsellable bastard swords, armors preventing innates to be casted and similar nondescript issues enough grating that figuring them out was my biggest inspiration to pick up modding outright.

The Manual of War notes you cite are my notes from two years ago. I adopted klatu to TGP. TBH, TGP is fine wrt forks and if issues come up, they will be taken down anyway. It's not as bad as the history of Pecca's UI mods.

1 hour ago, Graion Dilach said:

The lagginess only happened  - it's fixed now -, when EEEx was installed alongside HouseTweaks, a non-EEEx run wouldn't experience it (HouseRules' previous way was triggering too many EEEx hooks), which is why it remained there for long

I beg to differ. I never used EEEx, and some of the components dealing with more meaningful stat bonuses caused choppy walking animations seconds after starting a new game in BG1 (EET). That was in the first quarter of this year, when I still did my installs manually and via Wine, so a makeover took really LONG. That was actutally what caused me to start keeping notes, and then writing my bash script to ease installs. And @subtledoctor's offering a comparable solution, which IMO works better, and is better supported.

The Artisan's kitpack had things like allowing mages to use crossbows, but no crossbow ammo. There's only one Firetooth crossbow in the game...

The reputation sound limitation is new to me, I'm not sure why that change was oversimplified.

I spent some time comparing diffs on GitHub, until I figured it out for me locally. To my knowledge, he's still only active on Discord, which I don't use, so couldn't give feedback.

All of this combined should explain my wariness. It's not to shit on other people's work, but a matter of self-protection. All in all I started with BG again out of a mood to actually play it, and look what has happened since then..

I adopted klatu to TGP. TBH, TGP is fine wrt forks and if issues come up, they will be taken down anyway.

Will try to keep that in mind when I start to collect mods for a future installation. I can only propose to you to offer perhaps proper (meaning intended strictly technical) releases and a basic readme, to increase adoption. I'd offer help, but the time it would take you to explain everything to me might be better invested in just doing it yourself. :beer:

Then again, if you just keep your stuff publically available to ease collaboration, but don't care that much for user adoption, that's also a way to go, I suppose.

Edited by Lurker
On 10/28/2023 at 2:08 PM, Delior said:

How did you get the House tweak to restore the reputation sound effect to work on EET?

I can try to explain it when I'm back at my other machine. If you know how to apply a text patch, I can also see if I can provide you one here temporarily. I don't know how well regarded this actually is around here.

EDIT: I did this by locally modifying the HouseTweaks.TP2.

Version of "The Artisan's House Rule Tweaks" installed here: v2.3
Version of "The Artisan's House Rule Tweaks" with working component 19 installable on EET: v2.1a (although if installed it claims to be v1.91)

Although I sometimes write about "patching" something, this is usually just for brevity. Since I mostly change minor stuff, I regularly just manually edit the corresponding file, and keep the original with an ".org" suffix. This makes identifying "hacked" mods easy for me at later stages.

But since explaining this step-by-step would be tedious, here's a patch that can be applied to v2.3, with v2.1a as the source:

--- HouseTweaks.TP2.org 2023-08-14 21:18:30.000000000 +0200
+++ HouseTweaks.TP2.target      2023-09-20 16:48:25.000000000 +0200
@@ -110,9 +110,23 @@
 INCLUDE ~%MOD_FOLDER%/lib/trolls.tpa~

BEGIN ~House Tweaks: Restore Reputation Increase Sound Effect for BG2~
-REQUIRE_PREDICATE (GAME_IS ~bg2ee~) ~This component must be installed on BG2:EE.~
+REQUIRE_PREDICATE (GAME_IS ~bg2ee eet~) ~This component must be installed on BG2:EE.~
 COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Reputation/REPUP.WAV~ ~OVERRIDE~
-STRING_SET 19686 ~The Party's Reputation Has Increased~ [REPUP]
+
+OUTER_SET rep_up_snd = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~The Party's Reputation Has Increased~ [REPUP])
+
+COPY_EXISTING ~enginest.2da~ ~override~
+  COUNT_2DA_ROWS 2 rows
+  FOR (row = 0 ; row < rows ; ++row) BEGIN
+    READ_2DA_ENTRY row 0 2 entry
+    PATCH_IF ("%entry%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "STRREF_FEEDBACK_GAINEDREPUTATION"      = 0) BEGIN
+      FOR (col = 1; col < 2 ; ++col) BEGIN
+        SET_2DA_ENTRY row col 2 rep_up_snd
+      END
+    END
+  END
+  PRETTY_PRINT_2DA
+  BUT_ONLY

BEGIN ~House Tweaks: Race Text Patch~
 INCLUDE ~%MOD_FOLDER%/lib/racetext.tpa~
@@ -390,4 +404,4 @@
 Requires:
  14 Strength

-Weight: 12~
\ No newline at end of file
+Weight: 12~

restore_HouseTweaks_comp19_from_v21a_to_v23.patch

(attachment may be removed in the future to reclaim space for my attachment quota)

The patch can, for example, be applied with the following command, which makes a backup of the original file with the suffix ".orig".

patch -b HouseTweaks.TP2 restore_HouseTweaks_comp19_from_v21a_to_v23.patch

Also, if providing this here causes complaints either by the original author or the G3 staff, I'll remove the public patch, naturally.

Edited by Lurker
added patch and patching information
17 hours ago, Lurker said:

Dark Side of the Sword Coast (DSotSC) v4.2 only:

DSBOOT01.ITM (Boots of the Forest) are usable by Druids, but not by Fighter/Druids. Intentional or oversight?

Boots of the Forest, one of the many gifts bestowed upon the protectors of the forests. These boots provide the wearer with a little extra speed, stealth, and the ability to avoid getting trapped.

STATISTICS:

Stealth Bonus: +15%
Grants Free Action
Weight: 4

Only usable by:
 Druid (Single Class Only)
 Ranger (Single Class Only)

The below quote is from the oBG1 mod item description. It is intended, although i can understand why it sounds like a bug, with the EE dynamic generation making the restriction less obvious.

18 hours ago, Lurker said:

Dark Side of the Sword Coast (DSotSC) v4.2 vs cdtweaks component 2431(Change Equipment Restrictions for Druid Multi- and Dual-ClassesTighten equipment restrictions for druid multi- and dual-classes):

The cdtweaks component sets the "Unusable by" flag for Druids and Fighter/Druids for DSTDRUID.ITM (Tiara of the Chanah'Rea) and DSCDRUID.ITM (Crown of the Archdruid).

This is fixed.

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

It's more that Thalanatyr will ignore BST's black pearls and BST's quest-giver will ignore TC's black pearls. So everything works fine, but there's an awkward intersection of 'I have black pearls, why isn't this guy reacting?' that we're addressing.

21 minutes ago, CamDawg said:

It's more that Thalanatyr will ignore BST's black pearls and BST's quest-giver will ignore TC's black pearls. So everything works fine, but there's an awkward intersection of 'I have black pearls, why isn't this guy reacting?' that we're addressing.

Reminds me of this (paragraph in the middle), where I got different options from Cespenar for seemingly indentical (in game) green dragon scales (which had different item codes).

EDIT: @CamDawg

This might have been a misunderstanding. I noticed your announcement, and added this here afterwards. Thanks for the more detailed explanation.

Edited by Lurker