Complaint regarding BG1RE content (resolved)

Glam Vrock

I didn't say you are not right, but you are too much translating and exaggerating things.

I might have very same opinion like you in these things, but you have to understand, whether you like it or not, some other people have different opinion.

I'm confused. You say I'm right, but you also say I'm just one loudmouth imposing my tastes on everyone else? Which is it?

If you are right, doesn't mean others are wrong. Like some Dude said: "It is just, like, your opinion." And mine, in some parts. ;-)

If you are right, doesn't mean others are wrong.

If they disagree with me then yes, it kind of does. Two contradictory statements can't both be correct.

Unless you mean "If you're right but others disagree with you, that doesn't make them bad people." Which is true, but it still doesn't mean you shouldn't accept their opinions as valid.

If they disagree with me then yes, it kind of does.

No, it doesn't. People are contradictory in the essence.

What you think might be OK with you or me, but somebody else will have other view on same things. different=/wrong

If you impose your view on everybody else, you gained nothing, but lost a lot.

I have no idea what you're even trying to argue at this point, and I really don't want to derail this thread into a debate about whether truth is subjective or not. If you think I'm right and you agree with the decision that's been made, I have nothing to discuss.

I have no idea what you're even trying to argue at this point, and I really don't want to derail this thread into a debate about whether truth is subjective or not. If you think I'm right and you agree with the decision that's been made, I have nothing to discuss.

I'm not arguing anything with you, I said that you are right to have an opinion. I have a right to have mine.

But I don't agree with the decision that this component is removed completely.

My vote goes to keeping component in next version.

But, after all, it is up to jastey.

I've just played through the Dirty Guard encounter. The only issue with it is the gang rape threat.

Otherwise, when it comes to BDSM the sub actually has more control than the dom. That gang rape threat takes away the sub's, charname's, control of the situation by placing her under duress, and that just shouldn't happen. So, everything after that threat is basically rape, rather than BDSM, even if charname has control after that threat.

Now as for 50 Shades of Grey...I'm just going to stay out of that.

That's a suggestion with thought in it, Sapphirelce101.

As for the rest, #, that's a lot of very loud, very repetitive natter.

CamDawg, would you consider placing a one-post-per-poster-per-24-hours limit on this thread? That way people who still feel the need to give an opinion can be heard but, with a budget on their time and words, they may use them more carefully.

Guys, when is the last time you changed your minds because someone screamed at you? Has that ever worked? Why does screaming at them seem like a valid option when you do it...? #

SapphireIce101, thank you for your suggestion. I stated above that I wouldn't mind BDSM per se, so f the author of the component would consider editing the threatening content, it would of course be an option to leave the encounter in.

I have started and discarded several comments on this topic. Basically, I like the idea of editing content until it is something the publishers of this mod feel comfortable with, either in the actual encounter or in the associated literature and installation in terms of warnings. I don't think encounters should be removed because they are 'questionable' to some players. Some years ago there would have been a tizzy over having homosexual encounters in a mod (or anywhere). Today we're having it over rape fantasies. Different strokes for different folks I say. As far as I'm concerned, if it involves consenting adults, have at her. It would be a pity to start losing content over some squeamish players. I just replayed the encounter to refresh my memory, and if you simply call the guard's bluff he leaves. And at this point he isn't even suggesting he's going to rape you, only spank you. This is what we're all up in arms about?! If this encounter leads to sex its because you as the player made many conversation choices to bring it there. Is this a 'romantic' encounter? Personally no, but I think the title of the mod is open for some interpretation. It includes a lot of content that in my books isn't romantic but they could hardly call it 'BG1 Bag of Sexually Themed Goodies' could they? Speaking of BG1, are we going to start tearing the BG2 mod apart next? Because I played that mod as a male for the first time a while back and had a few wide eyed moments with encounters there. If a mod isn't to your liking just don't play it.

And just for the record, maybe the wording of the encounter can be improved on but comparing this to sodomizing a child is exaggerating the matter to a point of ridicule. Its a sneaky debate tactic and not winning any points.

I just want to jump in again and say a couple things.

My own concern isn't about whether or not rape fantasies are appropriate content. My problem is that rape and sexual assault victims are real people, and coming across content like this can be potentially psychologically damaging for them. Saying that they should just read the readme isn't really enough; if you're going to have content like that, you need to make it as clear as possible. I may not have a problem with such material myself and may install it without thinking, but if I've got a friend/roommate who's going to run into trouble with the content if they ever play my computer, I'd want to know if there's anything on there that they shouldn't be exposed to.

People who think there's no problem as long as there's an escape option--I disagree. Exit options are pretty necessary, yes, but if the dialogue beforehand alludes to or threatens sexual violence, you may have already done the damage. Everything in the game is just so many words, and a lurid description of what someone wants to do to the PC is the part that's likely to be traumatizing, regardless of whether or not they go through with it.

I'm personally not in favor of censorship, but I am very much in favor of making sure that your audience always knows exactly what they can expect.

That's a good point Rhaella. I've been lucky enough not to have anything like that happen, but I also know people who have. That being said, these are the same people who know they have a traumatic experience in their past and are extra careful not to unknowingly expose themselves again. They read book jackets, movie reviews, game disclaimers and readmes to make sure they have a good idea of what's coming at them. So I hope the answer is to make it very very clear in the installation process.

Thank you all for your opinions and feedback. I am very happy to announce that v1.1 will include all components, but with tweaked content to remove any threats. The revised version of the Dirty Guard component was provided by the original author: it will still have all the naughtiness, but without any threatening to get there. We also had a very close look at all the components and identified other, possible distressing content, so v1.1 comes with a new installer that makes it possible to skip any content flagged with a warning.

v1.1 will be up soon, and I hope it will provide the enjoyable mod experience we want bg1re to be.

LOL such a great and important discus!! about raepe in vidyia game and i'm friggin late.

precisely, the corrupted pervy guard encounter in candlekeep is great. why? because it is funny. yes. it's not seroius, it's not for real. it's for teh lulz. sexual fantasy is normal, sexual fantasy with a little (or much) spice in it is normal. nobody is actually raeping you during the entire process, you can break his neck whenever you want and end his fun whenever you want. and the dialog is pretty funny. rape?? what rape? where??? certainly not in this mod!

also I envy you. if you are so "offended" by some mod that pretty much means lack of real problems in RL. I'm so fucking envy you.

Archived