My new "Made in Heaven" mods

Oh my, I never expected this little thing about skeletons and zombies to attract so much attention.  To be honest I haven't even tested this part very well yet.  If it's too much I will certainly tone it down of course.

Ries's Winter Wolf Hide armor dialog tree is buggy.

You use NumItemsParty("misc01",2) instead of NumItemsPartyGT("misc01",2) when he offers the option to create one, so having more than 2 will fail the question.

There's no other option to trigger the dialog as well besides the initial attempt.

25 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

Ries's Winter Wolf Hide armor dialog tree is buggy.

You use NumItemsParty("misc01",2) instead of NumItemsPartyGT("misc01",2) when he offers the option to create one, so having more than 2 will fail the question.

There's no other option to trigger the dialog as well besides the initial attempt.

Thank you.  Ries is the result of my recent introduction of lore-friendly changes and I haven't tested him at all yet.

I'm still amazed at the bravery of people installing the poorly tested code from my main tree. ^^

On 7/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Angel said:

Oh my, I never expected this little thing about skeletons and zombies to attract so much attention.  To be honest I haven't even tested this part very well yet.  If it's too much I will certainly tone it down of course.

Not to add salt to wounds, but I think you applied the ju-ju zombie characteristics to all zombies:

resist_crushingGT    => 50
  resist_piercingGT    => 50
  resist_missileGT    => 50
  resist_cold        => "if resist_fire < 100 then 100 else no_change"
  resist_magic_cold    => "if resist_magic_fire < 100 then 100 else no_change"
  strengthGT        => 18
  strength_exGT        => 10
  constitutionGT    => 16

According to the Monster Manual, ju-jus:

Regardless of the magic on the weapon, edged and cleaving weapons inflict normal damage, while blunt and piercing weapons cause half damage.

About Made in Heaven: Item Pack, the last version available in Github is the V6.
https://github.com/AngelGryph/MadeInHeaven_ItemPack/releases

Is there also a v7 to consider ? I think i have seen install orders which such version of mih_ip. So i am wondering ?

I read from the readme : "The bundled item tweaks may be incompatible with mods that have similar tweaks, like Item Revisions. As an item pack, this mod should be installed fairly early, before any 'tweak' mods. The included tweaks should preferably be installed after other item mods."

Is it still not recommanded to install this mod with Item Revisions ? (the items are compatible with IR but not the item tweaks from mih_ip ?)

Edited by Mordekaie
On 7/18/2022 at 7:00 PM, Chitown Willie said:

Not to add salt to wounds, but I think you applied the ju-ju zombie characteristics to all zombies:

resist_crushingGT    => 50
  resist_piercingGT    => 50
  resist_missileGT    => 50
  resist_cold        => "if resist_fire < 100 then 100 else no_change"
  resist_magic_cold    => "if resist_magic_fire < 100 then 100 else no_change"
  strengthGT        => 18
  strength_exGT        => 10
  constitutionGT    => 16

According to the Monster Manual, ju-jus:

Regardless of the magic on the weapon, edged and cleaving weapons inflict normal damage, while blunt and piercing weapons cause half damage.

This is by design.  I basically give zombies their 3.5e bludgeoning resistance, at least as close as a 2e engine can approach it.

Again, I haven't playtested this part yet, it may change in the future if I think it's a little too much.  But vanilla BG zombies are a joke.

7 hours ago, Mordekaie said:

About Made in Heaven: Item Pack, the last version available in Github is the V6.
https://github.com/AngelGryph/MadeInHeaven_ItemPack/releases

Is there also a v7 to consider ? I think i have seen install orders which such version of mih_ip. So i am wondering ?

Not at the moment.  And while I am trying to get a v7 release done, I do not give ETAs.  If you're feeling brave you are welcome to try and install my master, but keep in mind that this contains untested and unfinished code.

7 hours ago, Mordekaie said:

I read from the readme : "The bundled item tweaks may be incompatible with mods that have similar tweaks, like Item Revisions. As an item pack, this mod should be installed fairly early, before any 'tweak' mods. The included tweaks should preferably be installed after other item mods."

Is it still not recommended to install this mod with Item Revisions ? (the items are compatible with IR but not the item tweaks from mih_ip ?)

The honest answer is that I do not know.  I do not test with IR.  At all.  Nor do I strive for any sort of compatibility.  I do things similar to IR, but in a different way.  Those who combine the two do so completely at their own risk.  If someone asks nicely I may attempt to fix any compatibility issues that arise, but it won't be high priority for me.

If you really want to know, find someone who has done this and see what their results were.  My recommendation remains to not do it.

10 hours ago, Mordekaie said:

from the readme : "The bundled item tweaks may be incompatible with mods that have similar tweaks, like Item Revisions. As an item pack, this mod should be installed fairly early, before any 'tweak' mods. The included tweaks should preferably be installed after other item mods."

Is it still not recommanded to install this mod with Item Revisions ?

I’m not sure what the concern is, or which component specifically you have concerns about. I currently have these components installed:

~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Made in Heaven: Item Pack: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #1 // Icewind Dale items for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #2 // Planescape Torment items for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #8 // Change item type of Holy Symbols -> Holy Symbols are Belts: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #9 // Turn generic Full Plate into Field Plate: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #10 // Turn all Dragon Scale Armor into Scale Mail: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #11 // P&P Mace of Disruption (and similar items): v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #12 // Improved Tome of Golems: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #13 // Miscellaneous Item Improvements (see readme): v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #14 // Add Potions of Extra Healing in BG1: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #16 // Sensible Shops (see readme): v7

They are installed after IR’s main item-replacing component, but before IR’s later tweak components (Store Revisions, Functional Weapon Changes, etc.). 
5 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I’m not sure what the concern is, or which component specifically you have concerns about. I currently have these components installed:

~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Made in Heaven: Item Pack: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #1 // Icewind Dale items for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #2 // Planescape Torment items for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #8 // Change item type of Holy Symbols -> Holy Symbols are Belts: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #9 // Turn generic Full Plate into Field Plate: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #10 // Turn all Dragon Scale Armor into Scale Mail: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #11 // P&P Mace of Disruption (and similar items): v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #12 // Improved Tome of Golems: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #13 // Miscellaneous Item Improvements (see readme): v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #14 // Add Potions of Extra Healing in BG1: v7
~MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2~ #0 #16 // Sensible Shops (see readme): v7

They are installed after IR’s main item-replacing component, but before IR’s later tweak components (Store Revisions, Functional Weapon Changes, etc.). 

You're brave, that's my master.  I haven't even tested the improved tome of golems yet, no idea if it works. ^^

On 6/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, Chitown Willie said:

Hi Angel,

Attempting to install "Miscellaneous Item Improvements v4":

FAILURE:
No explicit choice of spell for externalised potn11.itm, and potn11.spl is not available

ERROR Installing [Miscellaneous Item Improvements (see readme)], rolling back to previous state
Unable to Unlink [weidu_external/backup/mih_ip/7/OTHER.7]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "weidu_external/backup/mih_ip/7/OTHER.7")

While testing mih_ip v6 mod with a bunch of other mods including Item Revisions v4b10sd15 (this is the IR fork from @subtledoctor),  i got the same error :

ERROR: Failure("No explicit choice of spell for externalised potn11.itm, and potn11.spl is not available")

The error comes from Item Revisions being installed before mih_ip (including 10 - Miscellaneous Item Improvements (see readme).

On 7/15/2022 at 3:33 AM, Angel said:

I'm still searching for a balance on how to make skeletons and zombies a little more menacing, considering they are worth much more XP than living creatures with similar HD.

Don't overlook their existing immunity to the Sleep spell/wand, in the early game, that's a big difference in the threat level of skeletons vs bandits, some skeletons also carry heavy crossbow and hence can inflict very painful crits at a distance.

On 7/15/2022 at 4:29 AM, subtledoctor said:

Zombies are way less of a pain, and could probably use a boost. Maybe they could do some kind of grappling thing? Like, Hold on hit for 6 seconds on a failed save?

That makes a zombie into just another subtype of ghoul (or other paralyze-on-hit critter), it's not very distinctive.

If it's needful to improve zombies I'd suggest leaving them slow and weak offensively, without hold or disease (this is all before the horror movie trope of infectious zombies), instead granting them immunity to attacks that don't kill them outright.

Since zombies have 16hp max, this could be implemented as regeneration (98) of 15hp/second, or opcode 232, target/condition 0/0 to call a .spl on self that heals 15hp, importantly not from 0/death (the latter option is more reliable but unfortunately would make them effectively immune to magic missiles, which isn't canon, except for Juju zombies).

Thus players in the early game would need to rely on critical hits, a very strong or magically armed character, or spells like fireball to destroy zombies. If that's too much the 15hp healing could also be called once per round with a six second delay.

Needless to say, the zombie should also be stripped of all damage resistances, except to stuff like poison which it should be entirely unaffected by.

Edited by polytope