My new "Made in Heaven" mods

Hi Angel,

Installed BGEE 2.6.6 w/:

~MIH_EQ/SETUP-MIH_EQ.TP2~ #0 #16 // Enhanced Battles: Xvart Village: v5.1

But seems like the Village is a little tame since my last install w/ 5.0 - no Protectors or Shamans.

Further investigation reveals they don't exist in NI:

image.png.1bc25605a18f2753988d71f25c736d10.png

Did something change between 5.0 vs 5.1? Is there another way I can check the setup of the Village?

Wow, for some reason WeiDU was unable to create the backup folder in <game>/weidu_external/backup/mih_eq. The sole reason I can think of why would that happen would be that Windows paths are limited to 260 characters (which can be extended in newer versions of Win10 but leaving it on 260 is the default). Maybe shorten the game path and check if you didn't ran out of filespace.

I'm looking at the partition in question now, with everything that was installed in the end and it has 172gb free. It's also not the Windows partition and the game is not installed in Program Files. The path to the game is actually just "G:/Games/Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition", so I find it unlikely that it's running on the 260 character path limit. I will try reinstalling and this time I will put the game on "G:/BG2" and Project Infinity in "G:/PI" just to be extra sure.

Well, there was this

Problem Unix.Unix_error(20, "mkdir", "\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000<bunch ofzeroes><and more zeroes>\000override") on override: util.ml

which would probably go far beyond the 260 chars limit.

The problem is probably there but I don't know how we should interpret this.

EDIT and even before that there was a patching error

ERROR: Failure("REVNANT.CRE: read out of bounds") in apply_standard_function: inputs were func=add_proficiencies, arguments=2weapon=>3
Copying and patching 1 file ...
ERROR: [REVNANT.CRE] -> [override/REVNANT.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("REVNANT.CRE: read out of bounds"))

Edited by mickabouille
3 hours ago, ChaoticTabris said:

I've just had this weird error while installing MiH EQ as part of a big mod install. This is the log for the first component to fail, as I'm not sure if other components that failed only did so because of the lack of this one. I had to upload to ghostbin because it was too big for pastebin: https://ghostbin.com/47JxX

2 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

Wow, for some reason WeiDU was unable to create the backup folder in <game>/weidu_external/backup/mih_eq. The sole reason I can think of why would that happen would be that Windows paths are limited to 260 characters (which can be extended in newer versions of Win10 but leaving it on 260 is the default). Maybe shorten the game path and check if you didn't ran out of filespace.

It's part of WeiDU's attempt to roll back after an earlier error.  That's something Wisp should look at, it has nothing to do with my mod.

The real error is higher up, here:

ERROR: Failure("REVNANT.CRE: read out of bounds") in apply_standard_function: inputs were func=add_proficiencies, arguments=2weapon=>3
Copying and patching 1 file ...
ERROR: [REVNANT.CRE] -> [override/REVNANT.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("REVNANT.CRE: read out of bounds"))

I can't find this creature file in normal BG1 or BG2, maybe something a mod imported from IWD?  Anyway, my mod chokes on it because the file is apparently corrupt.  Or perhaps not correctly converted from oIWD's creature format.

Can't be corrupt, that works on my side.

d:\Baldur's Gate - ProjectInfinity\Baldur's Gate II EET>weidu --log nul --change-log revnant.cre
[weidu] WeiDU version 24900

Mods affecting REVNANT.CRE:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~A7-TOTLM-BG2EE\A7-TOTLM-BG2EE.TP2~ 0 0 // Trials of the Luremaster for Baldur's Gate3.0
00001:  ~A7-TOTLM-BG2EE\A7-TOTLM-BG2EE.TP2~ 0 31 // Reduce experience from monsters and questsReduce by 50 percent3.0
00002:  ~MIH_EQ\SETUP-MIH_EQ.TP2~ 0 0 // Revised Corporal Undeadv6
00003:  ~EET_TWEAKS\EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ 0 2051 // XP for killing creaturesDecrease to 75%1.12
00004:  ~KLATU\SETUP-KLATU.TP2~ 0 2080 // Drop Equipment on Disintegration1.7
00005:  ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE\SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ 0 200 // SBO - Stat Bonus Overhaulv5.38.1
00006:  ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)34.3

d:\Baldur's Gate - ProjectInfinity\Baldur's Gate II EET>

Edited by Graion Dilach

Downloaded all MiH mods and took some time to see their respective README's. This component of MiH Tweaks I find very interesting:

Alternative Damage on Large Creatures
An unused feature of the engine is to have weapons use an alternative damage dice roll on creatures with BIT13 set in their creature flags. This tweak uses this feature to implement the rule that certain weapons do more (swords, most large weapons) or less (most small weapons) damage on creatures larger than a human.

Warning: Items enhanced by this tweak should not be edited in DLTCEP as DLTCEP has a bug that wipes the alternative damage dice from the item upon saving. I have not tested this in Near Infinity.

Ok, I get it that small weapons will do lesser damage against let say Ogre magi and large weapons more. But please can someone elaborate details, for example dagger and halberd exact damage vs large creatures, extra damage dice perhaps or flat bonus to damage instead?

Edited by Greenhorn
11 minutes ago, Greenhorn said:

Ok, I get it that small weapons will do lesser damage against let say Ogre magi and large weapons more. But please can someone elaborate details, for example dagger and halberd exact damage vs large creatures, extra damage dice perhaps or flat bonus to damage instead?

As the readme describes, this actually enables an unused engine feature that allows weapons to have a different base damage (bytes 0x0003, 0x0011 and 0x0013 in the ability header) against creatures with BIT13 set.

You can actually see it for yourself or even adjust it if you're so inclined, the data is in the tables mih_tweaks/items/tables/_alt_dam.2da (item types) and mih_tweaks/items/tables/alt_item.2da (exceptions for individual items).

Currently the alternative base damage dice against large creatures are:

• two-handed sword: 3d6
  • bastard sword: 2d8
  • sling bullet: 1d6+1
  • club: 1d3
  • dagger: 1d3
  • dart: 1d2
  • flail: 2d4
  • halberd: 2d6
  • hammer: 1d4
  • long sword: 1d12
  • mace: 1d6
  • morning star: 1d6+1
  • short sword: 1d8
  • spear: 1d8

These are directly from the 2e PHB.

Creatures with the following races are marked as large: ankheg basilisk bear carrioncrawler gnoll ogre spider wyvern demonic beholder otyugh troll umberhulk giant golem elemental dragon minotaur drider shambling_mound chimera yeti treant ettin

It might be more accurate to actually check the animation used, but that is still a to-do. 🙂

Thanks so much @Angel I actually found that table in the meantime but your answer cleared all doubts. :) Just one more ( actually 2) thing, so staffs, arrows and bolts have same damage against both large and all the rest, right? And compatibility wise how this component plays with some other mods which change damage dice rolls of weapons, for example if I install mod which change base damage of spear to 1d8 what exactly would happen?

P.S. I guess katana will do 3d8 too, unsure of wakizashi and ninjato. 

Edited by Greenhorn

Anything that doesn't have alt dice set will just use the base dice regardless of creature BIT13.  I checked this with one of our engine hackers (forgot who, sorry) and tested it myself.  They are completely separate fields in the item file so anything that alters base weapon damage does exactly nothing to alt weapon damage.