subtledoctor Posted September 29, 2022 Author Share Posted September 29, 2022 2 hours ago, Graion Dilach said: This is the first time I hear about that community list and I can think of way too many mods missing from that list to consider it relevant even(Wild Magic Additions, MSFM, SoD2BG2IU, B_Spells, MiH Yeah nobody has updated it in like 10 years. (Of course, there weren't any new spell mods for about 8 of those10 years.) But the purpose of the list is still important, to avoid duplication in case one modder adds CLERIC_SPIKE_GROWTH and a different modder adds CLERIC_GROW_SPIKES. I don't think MSfM adds any spells relevant to this, and B_Spells/MiH/SoD2BG2IU are relatively brand new mods that surely never knew about the community list. That doesn't mean the list is irrelevant; it just means those modders should contribute to it! (B_Spells is, AFAIK, identical FnP, and I noted above that FnP should really enter its spells onto that list.) Wild Mage Additions should not be using ADD_SPELL for wild magic spells in any event - wild magic spells are learned automatically by wild mages so there is no need to put them in the spell selection UI. All it does is take up vital slots that other mods could use (unless the mod changes more than I realize about how wild mages work). 2 hours ago, Graion Dilach said: I'd really appreciate you wouldn't cite DSotSC as the primary example for this though. I never criticized it, but the plain fact is that the mod adds a ton of spells. Even the mods that do this right caan tend to get in each others' way, in ways that are difficult to resolve - because install orders are not flexible enough to shuffle things around, and mods' code isn't flexible enough to handlesuch conflicts gracefully. Players might want to play the DSotSC quests, and start installing things, and only later end up in @sturmvogel's position where some other mod is failing to install for reasons that are difficult to discern. Failing a community effort to figure out a way to expand the number of usable spells, players will have a difficult time knowing which mod does what, and how to plan which ones they want to install. (Unless, of course, the mods that add spells in this way publicly report the ones they add... like on a community list... and oh hey, what do you know, DSotSC actually already does that! So maybe not so irrelevant ) 2 hours ago, Graion Dilach said: Olyvn's tool does a lot more than enabling stuff to sorcerers, it literally includes every filtering possible and then some, Which is part of the problem with his tool. 70% of what it does could already be done without any Lua or UI modding, and the other 30% is bound up with the whole thing and leads to compatibility issues that nobody by Olvyn knows how to solve. If the thing was more modular, transparent, and geared toward compatibility, it might have really helped solve this. But as it is, it solves little. And because it is built to do "a lot more / and then some," I can't even fork it and make it work in a modular way. I don't even understand how the thing works. Quote Link to comment
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.