Roxanne's Inofficial Mod Versions

On 5/9/2020 at 11:18 PM, 4udr4n said:

My employer is hosting some virtual events next month, and has offered to send food (pizza being an option) to all attendees (marketing budget usually spent on venue is available!). They're using a service that emails a code for each registrant to claim a meal delivery voucher, and so far as I can tell, the same code is used for all recipients (this code is presumably tied to my employer's account). This seems wildly open to abuse, so I'm gathering info, but may be about to offer free pizza to the nation!

OMG!  My daughter's husband's company does that for companies.  He came up with the concept the day lock-downs started.  Bet it's his.  Too funny!  Small world.

Edited by Lauriel
3 hours ago, jastey said:

That modding is highly adictive comes on top! @Lauriel knows what I'm talking about.

Absolutely! LOL  It's a good hobby though.  All consuming, frustrating, but feels nice when you finally solve something, like the relief you feel when you stop hitting your head against a wall.  Actually, I love it.  I think I have issues.  It makes me feel stoooopid and I think it's funny.  I...definitely have issues. LOL

Don't mean to pile on with complaints, but I saw this and it annoyed me: someone posted to Roxanne's forum about a perceived problem with one of my mods.  Roxanne responded that "The mod is constantly updated and sometimes the readme is behind the implementation. You need to be careful and be sure that your expectations are what the mod actually provides."

That is both untrue (neither the component nor its Readme section has been touched in two years - it's up Github, anyone can see that), and utterly unhelpful in any event.  Why on earth do people go to that forum?

Just checked Roxanne's forum out of curiosity and here is what she thinks about official versions of mods.

Yes, they used the standard template for their announcement (like so often in the recent past). It has no meaning, the content of the mod has not been touched and nothing has been changed with respect to compatibility. They do not test EET at all, just check out their own posts. Spellhold has become an unreliable source for mods meanwhile, so please test it before you make recommendations.

I forgot that the only reliable source of mods is EE Setup Tool and the best mod ever is The (Grand) Sandrah Saga.

13 minutes ago, Cahir said:

I forgot that the only reliable source of mods is EE Setup Tool ...

Well, there was a time when the SHSforums or G3 was down. That's what it means to be unreliable. And when you do most of the compatibility checking and fixes to every BG2EE mod out there, you soon run out of tolerance of bad compatibility designs... which is the other part of your quote. I know, we burned about 5 people at this already.

EDIT: this is a reply to @Cahir

To be fair, there is some truth in it with regard that some mods at SHS are fairly outdated. But the more such a statement is misleading (and, frankly, infuriating) considering all the work @Gwendolyne and me put into updating mods and making them EET compatible (yes, @Roxanne, they are.) with the mods we did, not to mention the mods that are still actively maintained by their authors. Everything at the SHS GitHub is updated plus some more that we didn't upload to GitHub yet - and we updated in a real way with preserving the compatbility with the old engine, not the half-a*** EET only versions Roxanne threw together.

Considering how many bugs I squashed when updating the SHS mods I updated I am surprised Roxanne's versions can walk at all.

1 minute ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Well, there was a time when the SHSforums or G3 was down. That's what it means to be unreliable.

I am so fed up reading this "explanation" (because it's certainly no "excuse") over and over again. The EE Setup Tool downloaded mods that either had GitHub homes or where on stable sites (e.g. Kerzenburgforum) via dubious Dropbox links and the likes. There is absolutely no reason for this. Especially now, where a lot of SHS, PPG, as well as G3 mods are on GitHub.

7 minutes ago, jastey said:

EDIT: this is a reply to @Cahir

To be fair, there is some truth in it with regard that some mods at SHS are fairly outdated. But the more such a statement is misleading (and, frankly, infuriating) considering all the work @Gwendolyne and me put into updating mods and making them EET compatible (yes, @Roxanne, they are.) with the mods we did, not to mention the mods that are still actively maintained by their authors. Everything at the SHS GitHub is updated plus some more that we didn't upload to GitHub yet - and we updated in a real way with preserving the compatbility with the old engine, not the half-a*** EET only versions Roxanne threw together.

Considering how many bugs I squashed when updating the SHS mods I updated I am surprised Roxanne's versions can walk at all.

I think what Roxanne have in mind is some post from @Gwendolyne where he stated that he doesn't play EE's. But I highly doubtful you guys are not testing the mod before releasing next version. I really have seen just one or two bug reports (mostly regarding EET compatibility or some crossmod issues) which were squashed super fast. So, yeah, I also am pissed off she treats the whole modding community like garbage.

2 hours ago, jastey said:

I am so fed up reading this "explanation" (because it's certainly no "excuse") over and over again. The EE Setup Tool downloaded mods that either had GitHub homes or where on stable sites (e.g. Kerzenburgforum) via dubious Dropbox links and the likes. There is absolutely no reason for this. Especially now, where a lot of SHS, PPG, as well as G3 mods are on GitHub.

That, plus G3 has had no downtime since migrating to its new hosting in December 2018.