Roxanne's Inofficial Mod Versions

13 minutes ago, AL|EN said:

2. Provide automatic updates for GitHub mods, according to docs.

Meaning that you just take that link, and auto incest it to mean the link + /release/ + tag page modifier + the actual archive. So it's not the actual download... it's greating page + auto process link. But if you don't use the autoprocess, you end up with diddly-squat, or worse, archive that contains a wrong folder structure and hidden/wrong files from a linux or mac.

For example, Ascension, your own repository; your link:

https://github.com/InfinityMods/Ascension/

The actual link:

https://github.com/InfinityMods/Ascension/releases/tag/2.0.10....

.. yes it goes further than that, you can autoprocess the original somehow to get that, and I don't care, cause there's a pathern... but you are lying, or rather you are not telling the most convinient truth. Which is why I care.

1 hour ago, 4udr4n said:

@AL|EN has repeatedly answered you to explain that PI already does download the latest release wherever a release is available, but that not all mods use releases. Roxanne, @Artemius I, InfinityMods, OlvynChuru, @Ulb, and @Angel all have mods that only have masters on GitHub right now. Presumably, as PI cannot guarantee that a modder will continue to use releases, it makes sense to link to the project page?

I can't speak for everyone of course, but the reason some of my mods don't have release versions is because, well, they aren't ready for release yet.  They are buggy, untested and may perhaps never be completed or released at all.  I of course won't stop anyone who wants to give them a spin anyway, but putting them in a tool that is supposed to make modding easier is IMHO not a very good idea.

20 minutes ago, Angel said:

I can't speak for everyone of course, but the reason some of my mods don't have release versions is because, well, they aren't ready for release yet.  They are buggy, untested and may perhaps never be completed or released at all.  I of course won't stop anyone who wants to give them a spin anyway, but putting them in a tool that is supposed to make modding easier is IMHO not a very good idea.

So you can't put a v0.1 out ?

47 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

So you can't put a v0.1 out ?

I make a release when I am ready to do so, and not sooner. Anyone who is willing to put unreleased code into their game is welcome to do so, but I won't release anything I do not want to support.

@Jarno Mikkola

I try really hard to understand what you mean. Yes, PI use 'general' github link in order to get latest release 'link'. No, I won't alter the way how original link is displayed because it's only information. Putting there a direct release link would confuse players. They should not use such link for downloading mod but he might want to see GitHub page, view issues, history etc. There is also separate 'HomePage' keyword which is actual 'project page'.

Guest guest

Hello @AL|EN
if your tool now downloads from github the mods, would it be possible to add another “feature”? It would be great if you could select the mods to make the tool extract them, rather than you having to do it. That’s the only thing that makes me miss a bit the BWS.

7 hours ago, Raduziel said:

Should I light a torch and grab my pitchfork?

Well, this thread went from the topic title to install help for Sandrah Saga with the EE Setup Tool to best GitHub release practices to feature requests for Project Infinity. I think we better get a good cup of hot tea and maybe some popcorn, just in case.

12 hours ago, Angel said:

For clarity, I wasn't suggesting anything those that I mentioned do on Github is wrong (as I have no idea how to use it), just pointing out that there are plenty of GitHub hosted mods that don't (yet) use releases.

18 minutes ago, jastey said:

I think we better get a good cup of hot tea and maybe some popcorn, just in case.

Good cup of tea ? What's that ? News flash, there isn't one. Unless it's made from coffee beans... 😛Tea with popcorn ... what the cheese ? -The bad kind. But I like where this thread went. All in the good places.

Soda would go with popcorn... but tea. Yes, let's derive this thread to be about food now. @Raduziel, only if you would like to fire up an oven and make say a pizza.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
6 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

pizza.

My employer is hosting some virtual events next month, and has offered to send food (pizza being an option) to all attendees (marketing budget usually spent on venue is available!). They're using a service that emails a code for each registrant to claim a meal delivery voucher, and so far as I can tell, the same code is used for all recipients (this code is presumably tied to my employer's account). This seems wildly open to abuse, so I'm gathering info, but may be about to offer free pizza to the nation!

40 minutes ago, 4udr4n said:

This seems wildly open to abuse, so I'm gathering info, but may be about to offer free pizza to the nation!

Well, if you think about it, your money is actually just a type of voucher, that the country could just ban from usage if it needed to. So your only point of abuse is naratively constrained by your mind. Well, and the resources needed to obtain and distribute the typically flat and circular meal. Where am I going with this... I had no idea, even when I started this. 😆

On 5/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, jastey said:

@4udr4n

is trying to get fired so he can play and mod full time! :p

Pizza sounds good, though.

Yup, I've started on some dialogue and a small 'quest' for Winthorp as a way to learn to mod, and realised just how much time something bigger will take, so I now need to get put on furlough ASAP!