Found a good mod, have a recommendation?

Caedwyr

Last time I checked it out there were a few bugs and issues with some of the scripts (compatibility related I think). The items on the whole were definately more powerful than those you'd find in the original game. It's not really a mod I'd recommend personally, although if you were going to play some sort of power gamers game with every item store and overpowered item mod installed along with all of the increased diffficulty mods, I might consider it.

I have no idea what the previous two commenters are on about... Some exact details would be much desired.

FR/RoV is standard in my installs for years, without problems. Its latest versions actually spread around many of the items, whereas in earlier versions I could just buy or steal them from shops.

When I started MegaInstall, the mod needed one line added to its install script to avoid conflicting with other mods. This has been fixed in the current version.

You have to keep in mind that the last time I had installed the mod was about 4 or 5 years ago, so my recollections are somewhat hazy.

I do remember thinking that while my first impressions were that it was a nice addition, that on reflection a fair number of the items were closer to the high powered side of the spectrum. To put things in context, I may end up classifying iiItems the same way (item powerwise) once I've had a chane to look at it closer. I personally prefer a lower powered magical item setting, similar to BG1 as opposed to the Monty Haul +5 weapon trek that is ToB (refering to items again).

As for bugs, I have recollections of having some scripts failing to fire near the beginning of ToB, and possibly one or two other issues, mostly having to do with spelling and grammar. I do recall posting a whole bunch of them on the TeamBG forums of the day and getting told that no one was really interested in hearing about them. I'd imagine things might be somewhat different nowadays.

In the end, I think I decided the items were a little rich powerwise for me (I don't install Item Upgrades or Unrepresented items either), and so don't install FR_ROV.

Since we're hitting the subject, I would be curious if any of you have comments on Freedom's Reign/Reign of Virtue. I've heard of this mod quite a few time but never really found any review of it. Is it any good? Any know compatibility issues?

Thanks.

Those are both decent little mods. They have some decent items you can get.

I have to say, igi does not seem to get out and promote his mods - probably too busy writing them. iiItem and iiProjectile (or whatever the real name is - I still think of them as "igi's cool code") have been mentioned, but the one I want to play (but haven't yet had time) is the Weapons Proficiencies mod. It uses the pre 3E idea of trainers and learn by use, meaning that with successful swings with a weapon you work towards becoming proficient, masterful, etc. You also can go to trainers, and may need to in order to get above a certain number of stars. Another example of a really good roleplaying idea, attempting to be implemented through the IE engine.

Archived