IR v4 Beta (last update 20 June 2017)

I will look at it but currently, from memory, I had a lot of ideas concerning stores in BG1. So many cheap or overpowered items that make the game to easy. To name a few: arrows of detonation/dispelling, wand of monster summoning.... I need some time to re-acquire this game I left away for several years now :)

But clearly, Iron crisis is totally ignored by many stores! Especailly, sorcerous sundries (each game my party first reached it, I was thinking: "ok, from now, it will be a lot easier", considering I was playing no reload)

And from my point of view, no store should have unlimited supply (except normal amunitions). Most magic things like scrolls, potions, wands, magic arrows.... should be quite limited.

Having a level 7-8 mage carrying many scrolls of level 4-5 spells gives him a lot of firepower. In fact, it is possible to beat the game with mostly items use (wands, potions, scrolls) instead of strategic skills use and I strongly think it should be the latter.

Ah, I see, now then tell me why shouldn't a bard with the exact same items, have the exact same fire power ? To what comes to the items. The scrolls, they are power items, yes, limited use ones that cost a lots. Yes, the BG1 portion of the game can get a little exceeding in the power jumps... but it's not a matter of fixing the shops, but more likely the random drops and stuff laying around, which have been kinda fixed in the Enhanced Edition, and in a few megamod variants if you decide to install the components. Which is a reason why not to install a luck +1 items that should be worth ~20 000 gold. If it's not your bag of beans.

Ah, I see, now then tell me why shouldn't a bard with the exact same items, have the exact same fire power ? To what comes to the items. The scrolls, they are power items, yes, limited use ones that cost a lots. Yes, the BG1 portion of the game can get a little exceeding in the power jumps... but it's not a matter of fixing the shops, but more likely the random drops and stuff laying around, which have been kinda fixed in the Enhanced Edition, and in a few megamod variants if you decide to install the components. Which is a reason why not to install a luck +1 items that should be worth ~20 000 gold. If it's not your bag of beans.

Bards are in the same boat, aren't they? I have almost never played one, so I can't tell.

I'm still not convinced by EE. I'm pretty sure BGT + mods is more stable with less bugs overall. And yes, stores are not the only problem but they still contribute. BG1 has too many +1 items and I like mods that convert into fine weapons (SCS for example). All these +1 items can be sold for good amount of gold and then, you can buy a lot of stuff from stores.

I guess that a mix of several things could bring more balance:

- less items in the open world

- limited supplies in store

- higher price for magic items

As for scrolls, they cost a lot, yes, but if you sell every unused items, you will have gold. Just stack several level 5 mage scrolls and wands (fireball, monster summoning) and use them in all major battles.

I don't use this in my games (or just a little in the beginning when characters are very fragile) but I still sell them to accumulate potions. Potions are also an issue but to a lesser extent.

I really like MacReady Hard Times mod, and I will see if it helps on this matter.

Misaligned weapons

A lot of the weapons in my install are slightly misaligned, being placed a bit behind the characters hand in the inventory screen.

Not a huge issue per se, but definitely annoying.

Does anyone know what causes it, and is there any way to fix it?

I'm still not convinced by EE. I'm pretty sure BGT + mods is more stable with less bugs overall. And yes, stores are not the only problem but they still contribute. BG1 has too many +1 items and ...

There's nothing wrong with the original items or their placements in BG1(in BGT-WeiDU), it's only when you add mods(and the auto find with the Tab -key... or after you play the game too much so you can go and find the +2 Platemail from Nashkel even if your character is blind the whole way there) to the game that those items become too much, with the mod added items.

Misaligned weapons

A lot of the weapons in my install are slightly misaligned, being placed a bit behind the characters hand in the inventory screen.

Not a huge issue per se, but definitely annoying.

Does anyone know what causes it, and is there any way to fix it?

Yes. A likely cause is that you another paperdoll mod. Don't mix the 1PP, IR and Moinesse's Avatars mods. Also is this in a EE or non-EE version of the game ? Yeah, the EE games use a version of 1PP files...

Hello, i have 2 questions:

1. Is this compatible with Weimer's Item upgrades mod? I'm fairly certain it uses some of the items that have been changed as components for other items, will it not detect said component items if i have your mod installed? And will the new item rules (i.e. spell casting failure %, etc) apply to the new items introduced in Item Upgrades.

2. How soon would a potential new version of IR and SR be implemented with Big World Setup? :p

1. Is this compatible with Weimer's Item upgrades mod? I'm fairly certain it uses some of the items that have been changed as components for other items, will it not detect said component items if i have your mod installed? And will the new item rules (i.e. spell casting failure %, etc) apply to the new items introduced in Item Upgrades.

2. How soon would a potential new version of IR and SR be implemented with Big World Setup? :p

1. Well, the basic stuff goes like this, if you install both mods, you can use the "new upgrades" to make the "new items", and no they will not use the Item Revision mods rules, well except the universal rules if you install those components after the Item Upgrade mod.

2. After the IR and SR, KR, etc have been released officially, and the BWS gets an update to us the new download files. Potentially today... but the potential is quite low... it's likely in the new 2 years... but it could be that it's never. :p @Demi.... also there's an option in BWS to chose that you provide the files yourself and you can use a beta you get from Demi...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Few small bugs from latest beta:

Shar's Blessing (VICARM.ITM)

Minion of Shar: summon shadows ability doesn't work, because SHADESU3.EFF is not installed and/or found.

Bolt of Lightning +2 (BOLT03.ITM)

Bolt is missing sound (EFF_M22C.WAV). This is vanilla bug, BG1UB corrects it, but IR brings back missing wav.

Hurricane explained here everything and I think correct sound should be EFF_M23C.WAV.

and last really small one:

Carsomyr +5 (SW2H19.ITM)

has wrong Overhand Swing in Melee Ability. It is 40%, but it shoud be 34%.

Demi, I wish you good recovery and Bike Revisions! :)

I haven't gotten very far in the game yet (playing on BG2:EE with the Item Revisions v4 beta), so just a small amount of feedback from me:

1. The "Remove Cleric Weapon Restrictions from Multi-Classed Clerics" component could use a more detailed explanation in the readme. I figured out what exactly it does from looking at the code, but other users might not be able to.
  2. The Mercykiller Ring doesn't seem to apply the stealth bonuses (although it applies the remaining ones):

8bs1tR1.png

3. I really don't like the movement speed bonuses/penalties for robes/armors. Having my robed wizard constantly move in front of my armored fighter when traveling across maps is rather annoying - it doesn't really add much tactical challenge imo, just more tedious micromanagemt. I uninstalled the component that adds the penalties to armors, but the bonuses on robes are still there as the mod doesn't have an option for them.

Other than that (and the already reported paper doll misalignment issues), everything seems to be going well for now. Thanks for making this mod available!

-------------

Update: I was wrong about the Mercykiller Ring, it works the same as other stealth bonus sources. It's just that stealth bonuses interact in a somewhat non-intuitive way with armor penalties:

Jwk3DEP.png

Edited by Ineth

Emm btw anyone knows what's the deal with authorisation?

You're supposed to get an email when you sign up. Clicking the link in the email validates your account.

For a while, though, the forum software has been refusing to send emails to certain email providers. Now, we manually authorize a user once they make a post or two that indicates they're not a spambot.