Offtopic Anvil Discussion

the bigg

I continue to be amazed at people who, while sarcastically referring to other people as "grown men", display in the same post that they're anything but.

Baronious and Sikret are arrogant asses. Or, OTOH, they want people to get full enjoyment out of IA, and don't appreciate it when others try to circumvent their intent. Which view you subscribe to depends on, umm...

Well, hell - it's just a game. Why, in this particular situation, does anyone need to subscribe to a view? It's not like there's a shortage of mods. Pick the ones you want to play, ignore (emphasis on ignore) the others, and have fun!

Unless, of course, this is your idea of fun. In which case I understand Battle.net is still around.

I continue to be amazed at people who, while sarcastically referring to other people as "grown men", display in the same post that they're anything but.

You're taking things out of context. Besides, even grown men would sometimes have to settle an issue the only way possible. That's the unfortunate truth.

Baronious and Sikret are arrogant asses.

True. Let's leave it at that.

Well, hell - it's just a game. Why, in this particular situation, does anyone need to subscribe to a view? It's not like there's a shortage of mods. Pick the ones you want to play, ignore (emphasis on ignore) the others, and have fun!

Actually, I *am* trying to ignore this garbage. But how can you expect someone to remain quiet if the lying con-artist that is baronius still intends on provoking with these silent attacks every once in a while?

Baronious and Sikret are arrogant asses. Or, OTOH, they want people to get full enjoyment out of IA, and don't appreciate it when others try to circumvent their intent.

This is what I get for rushing my posts...

What I meant was that there could be two views:

1) Baronious and Sikret are arrogant asses.

2) Or, OTOH, they want people to get full enjoyment out of IA, and don't appreciate it when others try to circumvent their intent.

Personally, I subscibe to #2. With apologies to Baronious and Siket for my misleading previous post. Although they do have a tendancy to take themselves a bit too seriously at times. (As do we all.) :)

What I meant was that there could be two views:

1) Baronious and Sikret are arrogant asses.

2) Or, OTOH, they want people to get full enjoyment out of IA, and don't appreciate it when others try to circumvent their intent.

Personally, I subscibe to #2.

Did you see the way they treated that new fellow, Saros? That guy was completely polite and respectful, yet he is forbidden to post in the IA forum. LOL! And forced to post in a general forum and still continuously ridiculed for his playing style. Why are these guys so obsessed with how he plays? Why not just skip reading his thread.

Do you think you will *EVER* see Davidw or avenger_RR react like that to their players :) ?

:)

The worst actually is, that they live in their own world meaning they wouldn't help the rest of the community ie with improving the now-a-day-fixpack-which-even-Gaider-did Fixpack, nay rather they'd with their past pretending that's pack best.
Few points, the fixpack has it's fault's in it's past, as it was part of the tweak pack... and the tweak pack they(B&V&S) sellprovide(Baldurdash - Weidu) doesn't change the original elements of the game(the variables), and thus disrupt the general flow of the game if it's installed on-top or before a mod. --> Torgal doesn't become unkill-able etc. because the original variable was changed.

Another thing is time for moders, even Ascension64 said: "I aim for a final BGT package, and dealing with extraneous compatibility issues will just mess things up." Now, think of the work one needs to give to his hobby and product that still in progress...

:) Few points, the fixpack has it's fault's in it's past, as it was part of the tweak pack... and the tweak pack they(B&V&S) sellprovide(Baldurdash - Weidu) doesn't change the original elements of the game(the variables), and thus disrupt the general flow of the game if it's installed on-top or before a mod. --> Torgal doesn't become unkill-able etc. because the original variable was changed.

Another thing is time for moders, even Ascension64 said: "I aim for a final BGT package, and dealing with extraneous compatibility issues will just mess things up." Now, think of the work one needs to give to his hobby and product that still in progress...

As I see it, the Fixpack is a mod like any other. Thus, the makers of the Fixpack have responsibility only to those who choose to use it, and not to anyone else.

The other thing is that, the game was a bit buggy, unsurprising considering how complex it was. Thus, it does require some bug fixes. Some of those bug fixes require unavoidable changes to game interfaces. The alternative is to do nothing, in which case you havent got much of a Fixpack.

Put those two together, and you will see that, if Camdawg et al wanted to fix anything, they had to change some important files, they are answerable only to themselves precisely because they arent forcing anyone to use their mod.

Any modders can feel free to express state that their mods are not compatible with Fixpack, if this makes their lives easier. IA does just that, and thats fine.

Notice how Saros is constantly bombarded with insults in that thread when all the guy wants to do is post his progress in peace. He is still trying his best to stick to the topic, yet is relentlessly tormented with accusations. It's as if János Kádár (aka Baronius) is provoking him to respond in anger so he can have a reason to lock the thread and perhaps even delete it.

Simply pathetic, János. :)

Why not delete or move all the off-topic comments to another thread and simply let the kid post in peace? Isn't that what you did in the "Unfinished Bugs of vanilla game" thread - you know, some of the posts where even YOUR OWN forum members were outraged at the way Sikret reacted to saros (in case you're pretending not to understand, I'm talking about the recent "IA forum guidelines discussion" thread that mysteriously disappeared. Whatever happened to that thread, by the way? :devil: Did you happen you delete that too? If so, good job, Einstein! :) That certainly helped loosen the tensions)

Sikret,

What's more sadder than watching a grown 40+ man constantly trash someone who only came to ENJOY his work is watching the same man refusing to admit, no... flat-out DENYING that his mod contains bugs despite being shown otherwise.

This 'i-am-always-right-and-the-entire-world-is-wrong' attitude will come back to bite you and give a harsh reality check. The way you're handling things, you're own players will start abandoning you and you will have perhaps 10 guys that will remain "loyal" to IA.

Mark my words.

temujin's curse never fails...

:)??? ??? ???

hammerrp8.gifhammerrp8.gif

Few points, the fixpack has it's fault's in it's past, as it was part of the tweak pack...

This was never the case.

and the tweak pack they(B&V&S) sellprovide(Baldurdash - Weidu) doesn't change the original elements of the game(the variables), and thus disrupt the general flow of the game if it's installed on-top or before a mod.

Okay, this is what Baronius will try to explain to you over at BWL, but it's not really true. The very nature of a bugfix is that it alters aspects of the original game data. The BG2 Fixpack does this, and so too does BD-WeiDU. The BG2 Fixpack resolves a greater number of issues, however, which naturally results in a greater list of changes to the game data. There's no part of its design which entails spuriously altering internal variables in a way which BD-WeiDU avoids. Baronius stating that a fixpack "alters depenencies" is nothing more than an awkward way of paraphrasing that the fixpack fixes bugs.

:)
The worst actually is, that they live in their own world meaning they wouldn't help the rest of the community ie with improving the now-a-day-fixpack-which-even-Gaider-did Fixpack, nay rather they'd with their past pretending that's pack best.
Few points, the fixpack has it's fault's in it's past, as it was part of the tweak pack... and the tweak pack they(B&V&S) sellprovide(Baldurdash - Weidu) doesn't change the original elements of the game(the variables), and thus disrupt the general flow of the game if it's installed on-top or before a mod. --> Torgal doesn't become unkill-able etc. because the original variable was changed.

My main problem is this: They see no problems with EoU/Baldurdash but many many problems with Tweakpack/G3Fixpack. That is in no way a valid way to claim only to be looking at facts as Baronius always does. I don't claim the Fixpack is perfect but it is better, it is what most modders work together with and it is the fixpack with most credability. I think one of their claims is that the fixpack is a tweakpack whereas Baldurdash adds no tweaks. I think it does. But Sim knows better.

Guest _Baronius
Baronius stating that a fixpack "alters depenencies"

Lie again. It alters too many dependencies (usually unnecessarily), increasing the probability of collisions to a very high value. Even if it had enough testers, it wouldn't help, because it would be required to test it in all possible mod combinations -- which is impossible. The lack of a systematic methodology just makes everything even worse.

I think one of their claims is that the fixpack is a tweakpack whereas Baldurdash adds no tweaks.

What I said is that (when playing without Improved Anvil) Baldurdash is the more stable option; it is no way comprehensive or perfect. Just the better option from two bad options (or from three, if we include Baldurdash-WeiDU). When playing with Improved Anvil, there is no problem because Improved Anvil fixes all important bugs missed by baldurdash.

Welcome back, Janos.

I knew you couldn't resist this memorable, hall of fame thread. :):devil:

To be honest, I missed you, too. Gimme a kiss you Hungarian salami. bearsem8.gif

That said, let's get straight to the point.

It's good to know you've finally taken my advice and left poor saros alone in his thread. Still, what do you have to say about locking and deleting the "forum guidelines discussion" thread? There was no need for that. When exactly are you gonna grow up out of this silliness? Does being a forum administrator really give that much of an ego boost?

And what was this crap about "pretending to be nice" and gaining "negligible advantage." Please enlighten me, here. Who exactly am I trying to please? ???

Archived