Improved Anvil v5+ and BWL

Saros

Ardanis - but then the response is: why haven't we seen any time travellers, either currently or recorded in human history? If people have travelled back in time, either they chose not to visit this far back (too barbaric, lol), or so far back so as not to register in our history, or their travelling back created a new offshoot of existence which is closed to us (Nominar's point about parallel universes).

Which always makes me wonder, how the hell did we end up with the boring universe? I want a more exciting one with time travellers, matter spontaneously appearing and disappearing, etc.

matter spontaneously appearing and disappearing, etc.

Particles and antiparticles do spontaneously appear in empty space and then destroy each other. I think some theoretical physicists have argued that all the matter in our universe spontaneously appeared out of nothing (don't quote me on this, I make this sound too simple when it certainly isn't nor is it even correctly worded). I think Lawrence Krauss, a theoretical physicists, touched on this topic in this

, I'm not sure though, I have to watch it again sometime soon.
You must have never seen a lich to cast TS and then MMM someone. Rather nasty, can it be sometimes.

I have, and the MMM will fly en masse towards the victim as soon as the TS expires.

Ardanis - but then the response is: why haven't we seen any time travellers, either currently or recorded in human history? If people have travelled back in time, either they chose not to visit this far back (too barbaric, lol), or so far back so as not to register in our history, or their travelling back created a new offshoot of existence which is closed to us (Nominar's point about parallel universes).

Probably because the hypothetical time travelers were diligent enough to avoid making themselves known.

I suppose it's safe to say Sikret and Baronius stopped stalking this tread about 20 posts back... Go G3! :cringe:

Get back on topic.

Well, Nostradamus makes quite a believable candidate. Plus as Bigg says time travellers ought to be smart enough to keep the fact to themselves.

There might even be yet undiscovered law that allows to time travel without causing interference to existing timeline.

Particles and antiparticles do spontaneously appear in empty space and then destroy each other.
Indeed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_Radiation
Particles and antiparticles do spontaneously appear in empty space and then destroy each other.
Indeed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_Radiation

These aren't quite the same phenomenon.

If I take some matter and some antimatter and combine them, they annihilate, and the energy produced shoots out as gamma rays. The phenomenon Nominar's talking about isn't like that: virtual particles and antiparticles - not having real energy or mass - appear, annihilate, and disappear again, without producing gamma rays or any other form of energy. Otherwise empty space would be full of spontaneously generated radiation, energy wouldn't be conserved, and general weirdness would ensure.

Hawking radiation (Ardanis' link) happens when this virtual particle-production-and-destruction gets parlayed up to a real process. This happens when you're on the edge of a black hole. The usual rough-and-ready-way to describe it, which isn't so far off the truth, is that virtual particle-antiparticle pairs appear next to a black hole, the virtual antiparticle falls in, and so the virtual particle turns into a real particle (real energy, real mass) and can be detected in the usual way.

There's no direct experimental evidence for Hawking radiation, though the theoretical arguments are pretty persuasive. There is direct experimental evidence for the creation and annihilation of virtual particle-antiparticle pairs.

What does peek my interest is that whereas spells are halted in space, so would arrows that are being shot from a bow. So if you shoot 10 arrows during a timestop, could they all fly towards your foe when the timestop is finalised? That does not happen in the game though....

I don't know about MMMs or Energy Disks, but in my game Arrows are frozen in time and fly towards the foe once the TS finishes.

You must have never seen a lich to cast TS and then MMM someone. Rather nasty, can it be

sometimes.

I have, and the MMM will fly en masse towards the victim as soon as the TS expires.

I was mistaken. the bigg is correct. Well... in my modded game I was correct, but in vanilla all projectiles freeze. No idea which mod that I have installed changed that behaviour though.

So I'm guessing that the bubble ends at the point where you do not 'touch' the item/spell projectile anymore.

Well, Nostradamus makes quite a believable candidate. Plus as Bigg says time travellers ought to be smart enough to keep the fact to themselves.

I am not certain whether Nostradamus is a good candidate for a time traveler. If you read his book of prophecies you will notice that most descriptions are ultimately vague. On top of that, all of those that were linked to a major occurrence in history were either spelling errors (such as the Hister/Hitler mistake) or have been interpretations that could be anything else altogether. I think his most well-known verse is about 'the young lion shall overcome the older' which is supposed to point towards a duel of Henry II vs Montgomery in 1500something, but why didn't he just mention their names? Almost every king in history was related to royalty as a Lion or it could even refer to lions in general and he had an epiphany about animals on the savanna.

I think his works are interesting, but if he was a real time traveler he would at least have written down names or very accurate descriptions rather than something vague.

I would also argue that time travelers would be smart enough not to say anything. One of them is bound to slip something at some point. I'd rather think that they would simply not be believed instead... or be hanged for being witches.

Thanx to geh4th, I now have the IA 6 and will start test games tonight. Already read the document files however, and some implements sound ridiculous. Well, that had to be expected from Sikret.

Edit: I will also help distributing the mod. Anyone who wants it, write me a PM and give me an e-mail address where to send it.

It's not crazy to suppose that you could do weird, Timestop-style things if you had a theory that combined both...but equally, there's no evidence that you could.

If you're planning a release, I volunteer to beta testing... :cringe:

Lovely to read about time concept and different theories.

I have one (probably silly) question concerning the definition: "Time is what clock measures". Would that mean that before clocks were ever invented, time did not exist?

I have one (probably silly) question concerning the definition: "Time is what clock measures". Would that mean that before clocks were ever invented, time did not exist?

Well, I'd argue that time is just something defined by humans. It has no meaning until defined. Also asking whether or not time existed before clocks were invented may imply that time is a real part of our universe, roughly what I argued against. But I'm no professional on this, I mainly deal with this philosophically.

Archived