SR V4 Open Beta (last update 25 October 2018)

but my savegame seems to be older

This, I suspect. Don't use old savegames with new mod installs.

Only restarting the game helps? or maybe the newly spawned trolls will be fixed?

I actually killed him after i rested the party. No other trolls get bugged like this.

Edited by geg_Ma3gau

Nishruu and Hakaeasdgulasidftk can be squeezed into one spell that recieves an upgrade somewhere along the way imo.

Voting for keeping nabassu intact (for whatever devious reasons you would need them) as well.

Edited by n-ghost

Also, please sometime in the future make Namarra's Silence respect the "spell deflection protects from AOE spells" rule. This is quite overpowered right now when every spell is subject to the rule. Considering the Namarra has that -5 save on its effect its a direct counter to the mages. Staying away from using it for now.

Also: is there any possibility the improved invisibility loses its -4 save bonus in bg2ee? Maybe there is some workaround?

Edited by geg_Ma3gau

Also, please sometime in the future make Namarra's Silence respect the "spell deflection protects from AOE spells" rule. This is quite overpowered right now when every spell is subject to the rule. Considering the Namarra has that -5 save on its effect its a direct counter to the mages. Staying away from using it for now.

If you have SCS installed, Namarra won't counter them for more than a single round they spend casting Vocalize.

re bg2ee imp invs and -4 ..i believe that is a bug and i seem to recall reading about it . though that might have been an older error rpt..

so not sure will test it out

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1032/bg1-bg2-bug-improved-invisibility-spwi405-spl-doesnt-confer-save-bonuses-0629

and it refers back to a gibberlings discussion..

Edited by bradinmemph

Got a (relatively) minor bug with Shadow Door: maze-like effect forces a game-over if it manages to capture all members of the party at once (i.e., it's an instagib if charname is the only person in party). It behaves fine if there is anyone else in the party still not mazed.

When it comes to maze and similar effects killing solo runs, it's not out of SR's scope, it's simply out of our reach. We can do nothing about it. :undecided:

I am quite sure it is possible to change that if you're willing to hack the executable. Did a quick search - it seems that this is caused by the following check in the update loop:

if ( !InfScreenWorld__isActivePCAvailable(thisa) ) // "active" here means not dead, not charmed, not imprisoned/mazed
{
  v62 = g_pApp->pInfGm;
  v61 = v62->protagDeathTimer; // >0 if "protagonist dead" sequence is already running
  if ( v61 <= 0 && !bDeathTimerExpired && !thisa->bLostGame )
  {
    v60 = g_pApp->pInfGm;
    v59 = v60->unkStru58.modeFlags;
    if ( v59 != 4096 )
    {
      v58 = g_pApp->pInfGm;
      CInfGm__onProtagDeath(v58); // this kicks off "protagonist dead" sequence
    }
  }
}

The simple 2-byte hack would be to skip the block regardless of the check result (BG2: 0x7D3723: 0F 85 -> 90 E9).

Note: I didn't actually test that, since I don't have BG installed, so it is possible that I've missed something. If it doesn't work, but there is still someone really interested in this fix, I can investigate more.

Now, the question is whether this is in-scope of SR; I vaguely remember *R not taking in exe patches. OTOH I didn't follow these forums for more than a year now, so maybe something has changed :)

This EE stuff is ridiculous. Screwing not just one random animation, but two in a row?

Right, or you could use creatures that were actually originally designed to be combat creatures and have none of the crashes. Think, it's not illegal.

Besides, you can always supply your own animation resources and in EE, you don't even need to modify the .exe to use them...

+1

Strictly technical explanation of how DS functions.

Arda, thank you for this. I always wanted to understand DS better.

I have just 1 question:

As I see in ds.tph altered spells of SR goes to "ag#dsal2.2da" in override, but SCS, RR & aTweaks use older DS that looks for altered spells & applies new changes in "ag#dsalt.2da".

Wouldn't this be a problem?

@Demi

I think Spell Shield still doesn't work. No protections from any spells. (vanilla BG2+fixpack)

Edited by Mad Mate

Strictly technical explanation of how DS functions.

Arda, thank you for this. I always wanted to understand DS better.

I have just 1 question:

As I see in ds.tph altered spells of SR goes to "ag#dsal2.2da" in override, but SCS, RR & aTweaks use older DS that looks for altered spells & applies new changes in "ag#dsalt.2da".

@Demi

I think Spell Shield still doesn't work. No protections from any spells. (vanilla BG2+fixpack)

Actually the change Ardanis suggested (IIRC i implemented the same thing but a bit different) fixes a possible installation error and corrects the portrait icon for Spell Shield.

It would I think. Even with the Ardanis' explained "error code" above, which results in spwi590.spl being "non-detectable" in SR-only installs, installing a mod which uses DS makes it detectable again as proper SI:Abj, which is explained by the typo above. One error to fix another. :)

Got a (relatively) minor bug with Shadow Door: maze-like effect forces a game-over if it manages to capture all members of the party at once (i.e., it's an instagib if charname is the only person in party). It behaves fine if there is anyone else in the party still not mazed.

When it comes to maze and similar effects killing solo runs, it's not out of SR's scope, it's simply out of our reach. We can do nothing about it. :undecided:

I am quite sure it is possible to change that if you're willing to hack the executable. Did a quick search - it seems that this is caused by the following check in the update loop:

if ( !InfScreenWorld__isActivePCAvailable(thisa) ) // "active" here means not dead, not charmed, not imprisoned/mazed
{
  v62 = g_pApp->pInfGm;
  v61 = v62->protagDeathTimer; // >0 if "protagonist dead" sequence is already running
  if ( v61 <= 0 && !bDeathTimerExpired && !thisa->bLostGame )
  {
    v60 = g_pApp->pInfGm;
    v59 = v60->unkStru58.modeFlags;
    if ( v59 != 4096 )
    {
      v58 = g_pApp->pInfGm;
      CInfGm__onProtagDeath(v58); // this kicks off "protagonist dead" sequence
    }
  }
}

The simple 2-byte hack would be to skip the block regardless of the check result (BG2: 0x7D3723: 0F 85 -> 90 E9).

Note: I didn't actually test that, since I don't have BG installed, so it is possible that I've missed something. If it doesn't work, but there is still someone really interested in this fix, I can investigate more.

Now, the question is whether this is in-scope of SR; I vaguely remember *R not taking in exe patches. OTOH I didn't follow these forums for more than a year now, so maybe something has changed :)

That would be a great addition for ToBEx actually. Too bad the developer (Ascension64) has not been actively modding for almost 2 years now.

That would be a great addition for ToBEx actually. Too bad the developer (Ascension64) has not been actively modding for almost 2 years now.

Just like I said in the Widescreen mod that was not supposed to get updates after the_bigg went away, if there's will there's a way to add it in, and look what happened, Mike -our new admin added the stuff in the same week.

You just got to make a thread, get organized and make sure the tweak works for folks.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Just like I said in the Widescreen mod that was not supposed to get updates after the_bigg went away, if there's will there's a way to add it in, and look what happened, Mike -our new admin added the stuff in the same week.

You just got to make a thread, get organized and make sure the tweak works for folks.

I've put it together in one of TobEx's user patches. Simply putting this on ./TobEx_ini/patch/ will make it work (if it does--neither I have tested this).

no_death_pc1.txt

(if you plan on using this, be sure to change the file's extension from .txt to .patch)

Edited by CrevsDaak

I have just 1 question:

There was a bad typo in the earlier code, which prompted me to use different name in SR's version in order to avoid installation crashes. I have either missed the fact that SCS wouldn't notice the new 2da, or there could have been another reason to let the issue lay. Memory insists it was the latter, but unfortunately I can't recall or imagine any such reason other than having simply messed it. In any case, thanks for bringing it up, otherwise I would have forgotten completely.

PS After some thinking, it appears the best solution is to make it auto-updating, like WeiDU and ToBEx. It will certainly prove useful for... a certain reason.

Edited by Ardanis