SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

@Bartimaeus thx for explanation. Honestly i agree with original charm effect, i think it should not last forever, for sure, form both gameplay and game mechanic perspective. But it would be interesting maybe to create a spell (say level 3 or 4), maybe particular mage school, something like that: Oblivion, this spell erases1 spell from target mage spellbook (good in combat), and when cast on a neutral creature (merchant for instance) erases all memories regarding main charachter (so, when you unsuccesfully try to steal from the marchant, that merchant wont turn enemy against you forever). Maybe add some other features. Again, just an idea.

Regarding 4.19rc1. Does it have Master version (same as SRV4 had) or is it just a finished release?

Edited by pochesun
On 11/24/2022 at 7:17 AM, pochesun said:

Regarding 4.19rc1. Does it have Master version (same as SRV4 had) or is it just a finished release?

rc1 is a finished released, but if any other additional changes were made since it was released, you could download the master version from github as well.

On 11/24/2022 at 7:17 AM, pochesun said:

thx for explanation. Honestly i agree with original charm effect, i think it should not last forever, for sure, form both gameplay and game mechanic perspective. But it would be interesting maybe to create a spell (say level 3 or 4), maybe particular mage school, something like that: Oblivion, this spell erases1 spell from target mage spellbook (good in combat), and when cast on a neutral creature (merchant for instance) erases all memories regarding main charachter (so, when you unsuccesfully try to steal from the marchant, that merchant wont turn enemy against you forever). Maybe add some other features. Again, just an idea.

Such a spell could have the "reset reaction" effect target specifically only the 'innocent' class (which is anybody who would penalize your reputation if you kill them).

Edited by Bartimaeus
8 hours ago, JediMindTrix said:

Hi there, I'm getting parsing error messages from SCS when installing SRR on BGEE. Here is my weidu and the error log

sfo_warnings.txt 3.29 kB · 0 downloads WeiDU.log 7.93 kB · 0 downloads

It doesn't seem like any of the errors are of great concern, and also, I can't rightly tell if any of them are actually related to SR/R. I don't know what the "CDBREAKx" spells are, and none of those listed creatures are anything that SRR (or SR to my knowledge) make any kind of deliberate or specific change to. But...there are always a lot of unforeseen possibilities with modding.

Edited by Bartimaeus

A lot of the spells using hit-dice based mechanics are really unbalanced in Legacy of Bhaal mode - but one of them in particular is just absurd.

UnHoly Word will kill enemies 10+ hit-dice below the caster. As hit dice are effectively = level for enemies, any time an enemy casts UnHoly Word, the LoB level increase means they're virtually guaranteed to kill you. Without save. ON THE ENTIRE PARTY. I'm pretty sure that a party-wide no-save instant kill is not exactly desired behavior, especially since a common enemy (Planetars summoned by enemy mages) does this routinely.

At the same time, of course, the hit-dice scaling means that when those spells are cast by the PLAYER, they do almost nothing.

I'm not sure what the best way to fix these would be, as even if they scaled simply with caster level, they'd still get unduly buffed by LoB. Perhaps just removing the kill component, replacing it with something more manageable; at least that way it wouldn't just wipe you instantly without a saving throw.

5 hours ago, Lord_Tansheron said:

A lot of the spells using hit-dice based mechanics are really unbalanced in Legacy of Bhaal mode - but one of them in particular is just absurd.

UnHoly Word will kill enemies 10+ hit-dice below the caster. As hit dice are effectively = level for enemies, any time an enemy casts UnHoly Word, the LoB level increase means they're virtually guaranteed to kill you. Without save. ON THE ENTIRE PARTY. I'm pretty sure that a party-wide no-save instant kill is not exactly desired behavior, especially since a common enemy (Planetars summoned by enemy mages) does this routinely.

At the same time, of course, the hit-dice scaling means that when those spells are cast by the PLAYER, they do almost nothing.

I'm not sure what the best way to fix these would be, as even if they scaled simply with caster level, they'd still get unduly buffed by LoB. Perhaps just removing the kill component, replacing it with something more manageable; at least that way it wouldn't just wipe you instantly without a saving throw.

No offense to Beamdog, but I think it would be folly to try to balance for an extreme and unbalanced difficulty mode whose questionable design will be inherently subject to issues like this. It's true that instant party death is not intended, but the vast majority of mods (SR/R and IR/R included) are not even slightly intended to played with LoB either. Get your Skull of Death, Periapt of Life Protection, and Hindo's Doom out and memorize a few Death Wards, I guess. I could also just write you a mini-mod that strips Un/Holy Word of their death effects if you like: I imagine those spells have zero use for you the player anyway sdue to everything always being too high level.

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

No offense to Black Isle, but I think it would be folly to try to balance for an extreme and unbalanced difficulty mode whose questionable design will be inherently subject to issues like this.

FTFY. Beamdog has nothing to do with the design of how that works, they just reimplemented it accurately from oIWD.

6 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

FTFY. Beamdog has nothing to do with the design of how that works, they just reimplemented it accurately from oIWD.

Didn't see anybody holding a gun to Beamdog's head to make them implement it in the BG games, or implement it in the same exact way. Haven't really ever played IWD1 (by far my least favorite of all the IE games, I've probably only ever gotten through maybe 1/4th of it), so I can't really comment on how well it works (or doesn't) for that game - only for the BG games, where Beamdog is wholly responsible for its inclusion and implementation. Either way, too difficult to re-design certain spells around.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Noone told you to keep the IWDEE compatibility in your softforks either, which you just acknowledged you don't care about, why don't you cut that out then? Beamdog put it in, because it's cheaper to maintain one shared engine branch between the BGs and IWDEE and sure, they could've kept the option within baldur.lua only, but a Hidden Gameplay Options mod would've still exposed it.

2 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

Noone told you to keep the IWDEE compatibility in your softforks either, which you just acknowledged you don't care about, why don't you cut that out then? Beamdog put it in, because it's cheaper to maintain one shared engine branch between the BGs and IWDEE and sure, they could've kept the option within baldur.lua only, but a Hidden Gameplay Options mod would've still exposed it.

Yeah, so I don't believe I ever said I didn't care about IWDEE compatibility, :). What a weird, mouth-stuffing conclusion to immediately make, particularly given my history of introducing optional settings that I don't use for other people (and having literally offered to make a mini-mod for Lord_Tansheron having the issue with Un/Holy Word!).

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

All that post suggested to me is that LoB is stupid and people shouldn't play the game that way. I mean, if you are purposefully throwing out all sense of balance among the various game mechanics, then yeah get ready for some game mechanics to be totally unbalanced. :undecided: Don't think a mod needs to adapt to that...

I'm not a fan of it, but I wouldn't go that far: people should play their game however they want, and if LoB makes it more interesting/enjoyable to them, that's all well and good. I can kind of see the appeal: if you've played the game a hundred times and you want to be forced to consider different approaches and strategies you might not otherwise have to, to go to a power-gaming extreme you've never had to go to before, that can certainly shake the experience up. But it's not the main way of playing these games, and both IR/SR were designed with...actually, solely oBG2 in mind (even if there were later BG1/BGT/IWD/EE compatibility additions eventually added), so it's a little much to go expecting everything to always work in perfect harmony when you're talking about something as wacky and extreme as what Legacy of Bhaal does. But the beauty of modding is that you can personally fix these kinds of issues, or ask someone to help you out if it's a small enough thing like stripping a couple of spells of their death effect.

Edited by Bartimaeus