Improved Anvil v5+ and BWL

Saros

Could you folks please take that kind of discussion elsewhere completely? Mod, game, or program, there is a big difference between creating and adding content, or hacking in new functionality/repairs, and explicitly going where an author has decided the public should not go.

To put it more clearly -

hacking BG2's .exe to add functions, or manipulating game resources for enhancing the game for those who have paid for the game = cool.

hacking BG2's .exe to pirate it, or doing the equivalent on a restricted archive = not cool.

In case someone actually thinks this is just a gentle request, please understand that it is not. It is more of a "go away and never, ever do this again."

Advantages:

- +2 Bonus to save vs. Breath Weapon.

- Makes critical hits at a roll of 17 or better (instead of the usual 20).

- Gains "Blur" every 5 levels.

- +2 bonus to Armor class for every 6 levels.

- Gains "Improved Haste" at levels 11, 16 and 21.

- Once the Riskbreaker reaches level 15, each of his successful hits will have 15% chance to apply a random effect picked from the following pool: "Hard Hit" on target (applies 10D6 +5 additional damage), "Risk Increment" on target (applies -4 penalty to AC for 2 rounds), "Avert Risk" (heals the Riskbreaker for 20 hp).

- Gains the ability "Chain Breaker Stance" at levels 17 and 23.

- Gains the innate ability "Risk Decrement" at levels 18, 24 and 30.

Chain Breaker Stance:

This ability applies the following effects to the caster for 5 rounds:

- +25% resistance to physical damage

- 25 strength

- Regenerating 12 hp per round

Risk Decrement:

When surrounded by lots of enemies and when most other warriors may fall or surrender in despair, a high level riskbreaker is more than capable to break the risk involved in the toughest situations.

Risk Decrement has the following effects:

- Heals the riskbreaker completely.

- Applies a massive attack to all enemies around the riskbreaker inflicting 8D10 crushing damage with no saving throw.

- Has a good chance to throw back all or some of the enemies.

Disadvantages:

- Cannot wear any armor.

- Cannot wear any helmet (other than Ioun stones).

- Cannot use gauntlets and shields.

- Cannot use ranged weapons.

- Cannot specialize in two handed weapons.

- Cannot be proficient in single weapon and Two handed weapon styles.

- Receives a -2 Penalty to constitution.

- Is immune to "Spirit Armor" and "Barkskin" spells.

- Requires 12 Intelligence.

- Cannot dual class.

Finished IA v6 twice now.

I don't think they gonna defend their position, as they represente a different world & view wholly and think it as right.

Unfortunatly I did not have the money and still do not to join the forums and get my access back to IA.

@Nazar: Think it is $6 for one a year. You can't get a lunch for that, what you mean you've no money ? My problem with subscribtion isn't the fee, I don't use paypal, and also that Sikret an ass.

~Aristide

After you locked out the last two IA threads idiot, you'd be the last person to get IA v6

Watch this guy beg for IA v6 at the Bioware forums

Aristide Oubre

Truly sorry for writing in abandoned topic but hope it's not old enough against the Rules... If anyone has the leaked-out copy of IA v6.0 please could you send to: aristide.oubre@yahoo.com

OK this might not sound fair but they've no right to charge!

Anybody knows what happened with BWL again?
Site:
Dear members and visitors!

The server is down again, and remoote software reboot does not seem to work. The Customer Support hasn't reacted for a week, we're still waiting their explanation.

Note: this is still the "old" server that is down, because it has been working mostly fine lately, so we will wait until the (long-ago subscribed) contract ends (instead of cancelling contract) and then will move to our new, more reliable server (which is more cost-efficient, but will lack some features, such as IRC server). In the meantime, we are preparing the migration to the new server. (The current page is loaded from a redirection site via DNS.)

Certainly, those who have donated and thus have special memberships at BWL will be granted by an extended special membership. The extension's length will be equal to the number of days the site has been down.

Sorry for the inconvenience anyway, we can't do much.

Baronius

P.S.: conspiracy theories are welcome, the public needs the show :beer:

I found a pretty cool quote from the first ever release of this mod, it kinda foreshadows the conflict that developed later.

If you encounter any bugs while playing this mod, it is more than 99% probable that something is wrong with one of the other mods you have installed.

If something goes wrong, its not my fault, its yours? Anyway....

Somebody should write an article on this feud.

Source

With 5 years of beta tests I suspect most modders could ensure a virtually bug free experience.

Actually, I think IA benefits from three factors here:

(i) the install context is very controlled. Quite a large fraction of bugs in mods arise either from compatibility problems or from the need to write compatibility-friendly code.

(ii) the range of legit play is also very controlled. A lot of bugs also arise from people doing things with your mod that you hadn't expected. If you restrict the range of play that you allow (e.g., not accepting bug reports from solo players or from players who use certain disallowed tactics) then again, things get a lot easier.

(iii) a superb testing environment. It would be churlish to deny that IA has a near-professional testing cycle. I'd love to claim that not doing something similar for SCS is a deliberate decision about making things available to players as swiftly as possible, but the truth is that I just don't have the time or motivation to be that careful.

not accepting bug reports from solo players or from players who use certain disallowed tactics

:beer:

Correction: claiming the report is a fabrication, banning the reporter, and then changing the mod according to the report.

Also, I witnessed first hand how much the claim of bugfreeness is marketing drivel: it is apparent (by browsing scripts' source code) that IA v5 will only try to Turn undead if Player1 is a non-cavalier Paladin or Keldorn is in the party. When I mentioned the bug in one of the IA threads here, Raven (one of the testers) claimed it wasn't a bug, but a conscious design choice.

Depends on what you consider to be a bug in AI scripts.

There are tactical mods that detect player status/gear and chose not to perform an action based on what they detect. An example would be to not use fire spells if the character is immune to it through spells or gear. IA does this a lot, but it is not very unique in that regard.

The thing with IA is that it gives normal characters like humans immunities that are not apparent from what you can expect (like efreeti being immune to fire damage, should be a given, but humans being fully immune to fire damage makes little sense). And since the AI checks your gear for immunities and you cannot except by replaying each encounter, it has a serious edge over the player.

Same with the paladin thing. How do you know that a foe is a paladin, let alone a cavalier or inquisitor? I guess the real IA players do not care about that. They are in it for the challenge rather than the logic.

Well, yeah none of those examples are bugs. We could spend (and in fact, have spent) ages discussing the differences between IA and vanilla, and reasons for preferences of either one, but no point revisiting all of that anyway.

I will say, even if I did start playing IA and really enjoyed it (by some fluke, I try to avoid reloading unless I have to so its probably not for me), I wouldnt want to play it due to the sheer arrogance that its authors display. IA is far more interesting from a soap opera point of view however, the flaming posts that it seems to elicit (from both sides) wherever it goes.

Although I have been thinking about cheesily creating 2 uber characters and playing the game through with them. By uber characters, I mean custom weapons and armor created by me, with custom kits etc, to be as cheesy and overpowered (to the nth degree) as possible. To go along with the mod's cheesiness of course! Such as a bag of infinite bullets +5, each bullet does 4d4 damage and instantly destroys undead with a -8 saving throw penalty. Or a two handed sword +6 which does 4d8 damage, is vorpal and dispels magic on hit with no saving throw. Thats what I mean when I say cheese. Anyway, right now I'm enjoying vanilla (except for a few mods) so that may come later.

How do you know that a foe is a paladin, let alone a cavalier or inquisitor? I guess the real IA players do not care about that. They are in it for the challenge rather than the logic.
Well, you just put an IF condition to the script that is true...

Just like your mod...

IF
OR(12)
  Kit(Player1,"CAVALIER")
  Kit(Player1,"INQUISITOR")
  Kit(Player2,"CAVALIER")
  Kit(Player2,"INQUISITOR")
THEN

How do you know that a foe is a paladin, let alone a cavalier or inquisitor? I guess the real IA players do not care about that. They are in it for the challenge rather than the logic.
Well, you just put an IF condition to the script that is true...

Just like your mod...

IF
OR(12)
  Kit(Player1,"CAVALIER")
  Kit(Player1,"INQUISITOR")
  Kit(Player2,"CAVALIER")
  Kit(Player2,"INQUISITOR")
THEN

I guess he meant realism-wise.

The thing with IA is that it gives normal characters like humans immunities that are not apparent from what you can expect (like efreeti being immune to fire damage, should be a given, but humans being fully immune to fire damage makes little sense).

I'm still perplexed as to how Sikret can claim his enemies don't cheat. It takes some serious logic acrobatics.

Archived