SR V4 Beta 18

Mike1072

Imprisonment & Freedom

Intended way of Imprisonment in SR how I understand it: Victim is send to a maze. After a cpuple of rounds, he returns and dies.

My assumption: Freedom is the counter to Imprisonment.

Actual behavoir ingame: If Freedom is cast, the still-in maze-victim of Imprisonment is freeed from the maze. However, he will still die after a couple of rounds. This is not intended, isn't it?

On 7/26/2020 at 5:15 PM, Prof Errata said:

To the all modders present here : since February when I've posted here, I've noticed that the works about SR v4 are nearly finished, and your professionnalism and your precision, believe me, is a pleasure to read (to the shame of Beamdog on the way…). I have a suggestion is it possible to release now a finalized version of SR v4 in a very near future for BGTotSC/BG2ToB ? Well, August ? I think now you can stop to split hairs - in good French "to cut the hairs in four" - about the new versions of the spells, giving the fact that the SR v4 Beta 18 with all the rectifications made since November 2019 seems to have its principal bugs currently squished. And now, with the release of the patch 2.6 for the EE games (in beta test) in a near future, I think it would be interesting to release SR v4 for the classic IE games (BG/BG2 only, useless for IWD), because we haven't BG2EE officially translated in French yet (2.5.16.6, but the console versions of BG2EE have currently this translation and it's a new one) and the translation in my language will be released (?) only after the EE patch 2.6; it explains why the majority of the French players, like myself, play yet BG2ToB until now. I hope that my proposal will be heard, and thank you for all your efforts.

Point taken, but consider:

1) If the ultimate gist of your point is "please someone get off your butts and finish  the Readme!" then please realize that basically nobody has the time to do that right now.

2) If you don't care about the Readme, then what's the difference?  Consider this official, and use it as such.  From the player's perspective, there's no difference.

(Though I suspect there will be a new version soon, with the latest Detectable Spells and like two bugfixes.)

Dear Doctor (full of subtlety I hope…), I want to reassure you, I don't want to be unpleasant about all the work done here on SR V4 by outstanding modders and which contrasts with the negligence - and the incompetence - of the staff of Beamdog (I think that the present patch 2.6 isn't a beta but an alpha in fact…) . But my opinion is the fact that now the SR V4 on the G3 forum is well on the way to be finalized now, what all we need is the corrections of a few bugs here and there, and I hope we'll have certainly a definitive release of this mod in a very near future, pehaps even before the end of the year. The main problem is the fact that the present SR available here in G3 for download is the V3.1.03, is somewhat dated, have a few bugs, and should be discouraged for a good game experience. It explains why I am so insistent about the finalization of SR V4 for BG2ToB and the EE games too.

NB : I don't understand well your remark about the Readme…

36 minutes ago, Prof Errata said:

Yes, I understand, but SR V4 is in yet in beta and have to be finalized…Above all it's a version for testers, not for players.

I'd say V4 has probably fewer bugs than v3. Not sure why you claim it's for testers.

well, I think it's that SR V4 is not a definitive version until now, but the main reason is the fact I've recently created a mod - Kaya v2.2 - which adds a merchant who sells all the arcanic spells available in SR V3.1.03. And I will create a new version of this mod only when SR V4 will be finalized once for all.

Edited by Prof Errata
4 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

But... why?

I still don’t understand what you mean by “finalized.” Just for the G3 link to point to v4 instead of v3? 

He's been repeating the same tired line over and over for a few different mods the past few years for very vague reasons, I'm not sure it's worth arguing about at this point.

@Prof Errata If I'm not mistaken, only Mike has the authority to do what you're asking, and he has already given you a definitive "no". Do what you want with your mod, quit pestering other people with pointless trivialities about theirs.

Edited by Bartimaeus
On 8/6/2020 at 1:44 PM, subtledoctor said:

But... why?

I still don’t understand what you mean by “finalized.” Just for the G3 link to point to v4 instead of v3? 

That would be nice, actually. I have some time for this objection: if someone comes to G3 and looks for Spell Revisions  (or just looks around under the various mod lists and comes across Spell Revisions), the main website will point them to SR v3.1.03 and will give no indication that there is a later version. Even if they check the forums (and they might well not) they'll come across the fact that there's a 'v4 beta 18', but they could pretty reasonably conclude that they should stay with the stable v3 rather than the clearly-under-development v4 beta. (When I started updating SCS a couple of years ago, I assumed that I should be working with SRv3 as the last stable release given that was what the main site pointed to and given the way v4 is named - it took me a bit of time to work out otherwise, and I'm scarcely new to or uninformed about modding.)

40 minutes ago, DavidW said:

That would be nice, actually. I have some time for this objection: if someone comes to G3 and looks for Spell Revisions  (or just looks around under the various mod lists and comes across Spell Revisions), the main website will point them to SR v3.1.03 and will give no indication that there is a later version. Even if they check the forums (and they might well not) they'll come across the fact that there's a 'v4 beta 18', but they could pretty reasonably conclude that they should stay with the stable v3 rather than the clearly-under-development v4 beta. (When I started updating SCS a couple of years ago, I assumed that I should be working with SRv3 as the last stable release given that was what the main site pointed to and given the way v4 is named - it took me a bit of time to work out otherwise, and I'm scarcely new to or uninformed about modding.)

Fine, I've updated the mod page and download page.  The mod is still exactly the same, it's still a beta, this is not a "definitive" version, yada yada yada.

44 minutes ago, Mike1072 said:

Fine, I've updated the mod page and download page.  The mod is still exactly the same, it's still a beta, this is not a "definitive" version, yada yada yada.

Great - I think that's all it needed. ("Beta" has long been a variable feast in modding, in any case.)