IWDification works on all IE games that use the Baldur's Gate II engine, which includes the original Baldur's Gate II (Shadows of Amn with or without Throne of Bhaal), the two major Baldur's Gate conversion mods (Tutu and BGT), and the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Content will be adjusted as appropriate for the detected platform--e.g. no +5 items or ninth level spells will be added to a Tutu or BGEE game. The Throne of Bhaal expansion is not required.
IWDification has several components, which can be installed completely independently of one another.
Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr)
Also available in the Tweaks Anthology mod
When your character casts a spell, you get a pretty sequence of colors swirling around their hand depending on the school the spell cast came from. A necromantic spell, for example, looks quite different from creating an illusion. The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games use different sets of animations for the schools. This component changes the spellcasting animations to those of Icewind Dale. Note that this is purely a cosmetic change--the spells themselves function exactly as before. Screenshots for comparison are available in the Tweaks gallery.
Commoners Use Drab Colors
Also available in the Tweaks Anthology mod
Unlike Icewind Dale, commoners in BG2 wear brightly colored clothes. This tweak changes the random selections of colors for commoners to a drab palette. The dress of noblemen and noblewomen are not affected.
Two Handed Axes
Icewind Dale also featured two-handed axes, as opposed to the strictly one-handed variety found in the Baldur's Gate series. This component scatters normal and magical two-handed axes throughout the game to make them available for players. Two-handed axes use the axe proficiency and have base stats of 9 speed and 1d10 damage. Spoilers about their precise locations are available on the forums.
Expanded Polymorph Self Options
This component adds three new forms to the arcane Polymorph Self spell: winter wolf, polar bear, and boring beetle (the boring beetle requires Infinity Animations on original BG2).
Arcane Spell Pack
This component adds more than 30 arcane spells from Icewind Dale. This component does not alter existing BG2 spells to match their IWD counterparts, except as noted below. Complete descriptions are available on the project pages as well as in-depth technical information.
- Updated: Emotion, Hopelessness is updated to its IWD counterpart to match the other three new spells in the Emotion series. The fifth level elemental conjuring series is updated to its IWD counterpart to facilitate the addition of the water elemental spell. IWD has its own version of Mordenkainen's Sword which is brought into the game as Mordenkainen's Force Blade.
- Level 1: Expeditious Retreat
- Level 2: Cat's Grace2, Decastave, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm
- Level 3: Icelance, Lance of Disruption
- Level 4: Beltyn's Burning Blood; Emotion, Courage; Emotion, Fear; Emotion, Hope; Mordenkainen's Force Missiles; Shadow Monsters; Shout; Vitriolic Sphere
- Level 5: Conjure Water Elemental, Demi-Shadow Monsters, Shroud of Flame, Summon Shadow
- Level 6: Antimagic Shell, Darts of Bone, Lich Touch, Monster Summoning IV, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Shades, Soul Eater1, Trollish Fortitude
- Level 7: Acid Storm, Malavon's Rage, Monster Summoning V, Mordenkainen's Force Blade, Seven Eyes1, Suffocate
- Level 8: Great Shout, Iron Body, Mind Blank, Monster Summoning VI
- Level 9: Monter Summoning VII
1 Only available for EE games
2 Only available for EE games OR vanilla games with TobEx installed
Divine Spell Pack
This component adds more than 40 divine spells from Icewind Dale and does not alter existing BG2 spells to match their IWD counterparts. Divine spellcasters will receive these spells, as appropriate, in their spellbooks as they level up. Joinable NPCs also receive updates to their spellbooks to account for the new spells. Complete descriptions are available on the project pages as well as in-depth technical information.
- Level 1: Cause Light Wounds, Curse, Sunscorch
- Level 2: Alicorn Lance, Beast Claw, Cause Moderate Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds
- Level 3: Cause Disease, Cause Medium Wounds, Circle of Bones, Cloudburst, Exaltation, Favor of Ilmater1, Mold Touch1, Moonblade, Prayer, Spike Growth, Storm Shell
- Level 4: Blood Rage, Cloud of Pestilence, Giant Insect2, Produce Fire, Recitation, Smashing Wave1, Star Metal Cudgel, Static Charge, Thorn Spray, Unfailing Endurance, Wall of Moonlight1
- Level 5: Animal Rage, Mass Cause Light Wounds, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Shield of Lathander, Spike Stones, Undead Ward
- Level 6: Entropy Shield, Spiritual Wrath1, Whirlwind
- Level 7: Destruction; Energy Drain; Greater Shield of Lathander; Impervious Sanctity of Mind; Mist of Eldath; Stalker; Symbol, Hopelessness; Symbol, Pain; Wither
1 Only available for EE games
2 Only available for EE games OR vanilla games with Infinity Animations installed
Expanded Portrait Icons
Non-EE Games Only
On the Enhanced Editions, all of the Icewind Dale portrait icons for the spells int he Arcane and Divine Spell Packs and the songs from IWD CLass Updates: Bard. Unlike the Enhanced Editions, portrait icons are limited to a fixed number of slots and, as such, many of the imported spells and bard songs do not get their unique portrait icons. These are made available as a separate component because there's no easy way to patch these into the game and this component will destructively overwrite changes made by other mods to expand the portrait icon system.
IWD Class Updates
IWD Class Updates: Bard (formerly known as Bard Song)
Bards in Icewind Dale gained different bard songs as they leveled:
- The Ballad of Three Heroes - Available at level one, this provides all allies with +1 to hit, +1 damage, and +1 to saving throws.
- The Tale of Curran Strongheart - Available at level three, this song protects the party from fear and removes any current fear effects.
- Tymora's Melody - Available at level five, the party gains +1 luck, +3 to all saves, and +10 to lore and thieving skills.
- The Song of Kaudies - Available at level seven, this provides a 50% resistance to sound-based attacks and spells such as power words, sirine charm, silence, and others.
- The Siren's Yearning - Available at level nine, this song enthralls your foes, preventing action for five rounds on a failed save vs. spell.
- War Chant of the Sith - Available at level 11, this provides +2 AC, regeneration of two HP/round, and 10% resistance to all crushing, missile, piercing, and slashing damage.
As the songs become available to the bard, the ability to freely switch between them is available. This component only affects trueclass bards, as the available kits use variants of BG2 bard song for kit advantages and/or disadvantages. Bards with these new songs will not be able to pick Enhanced Bard Song as a high-level ability.
IWD Class Updates: Druid
There are two options which can be installed separately or together. The first, Allow Elves to be Druids, does exactly that: it opens the druid class and fighter-druid multi-class to elves, but is only available on EE games..
The second, Use IWD Shapeshifting and Ability Progression, makes several changes to the druid class. Druids swap their BG2 shapeshifting (wolf, black bear, bown bear) for the IWD progression: winter wolf (level 5), boring beetle (level 7, but kept as black bear for vanilla games without Infinity Animations), polar bear (level 9), fire elemental (level 11), earth elemental (level 13), and water elemental (level 15). Immunity from poison is moved from level 15 to level 9, and instead of the BG2 elemental resists at levels 18/21/24, the druid becomes immune to fatigue at level 15.
IWD Class Updates: Paladin
The paladin's Detect Evil ability becomes an at-will ability, and Protection From Evil only protects the paladin but lasts 24 hours. Paladins can cast Cure Disease (per the cleric spell) once per day and Smite Evil once per day (does 1d6 plus 1d6 per thee levels of magic damage to an evil opponent). Paladins are now immune to disease and become immune to fear at level three. They also receive an expanded spellcasting table, being able to start casting spells at level 6 instead of 9.
IWD Class Updates: Thief
Enhanced Edition Only
At level seven, thieves earn the Evasion perk. When a thief is hit by a spell that can be evaded (Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc.), the thief is allowed a Save vs. Breath to completely avoid the effects. If the Saving Throw is failed, the spell works normally, including a save for half damage if the spell allows for it. A helpless thief (e.g. held, stunned, or asleep) cannot use Evasion.