This documentation is complete as of Version 12 and will contain game spoilers. Fixes included in the BETA Core Fixes are listed in red.
The worldmap of Shadows of Amn is broken in several ways, and one fix is made for the Throne of Bhaal worldmap. (ar2601.bcs, xl3000.2da, xnewarea.2da, worldm25.wmp, worldmap.wmp)
There are several areas with multiple links to other areas with inconsistent travel times.
- The Slums district AR0400 has two links to the Government district AR1000, one of 0 hours and another of 4 hours (0 is correct).
- de'Arnise Hold AR1300 (before TorGal defeated) has travel times to Umar Hills AR1100 of 4 and 12 hours, travel times to Temple Ruins AR1400 (pre-shade lord defeat) of 4 and 12 hours, and travel times to Temple Ruins AR1404 (post-Shade Lord defeat) of 4 and 12 hours. 12 hours is correct in all cases.
- The travel time between Watcher's Keep and Abazigal's Lair was inconsistent.
The de'Arnise Hold has different travel times and links before and after you beat TorGal.
Before TorGal, it is AR1300 and has 12 hour links to the Umar Hills AR1100 and Trademeet AR2000, 16 hours to the Windspear Hills AR1200, and 20 hours to the City Gates AR0020. After Torgal is defeated it becomes AR1304, which has a 12 hour link to Umar Hills AR1100 (same), 8 hour links to City Gates AR0020 (previously 20) and Windspear Hills AR1200 (previously 16). It is lacking the previous 20 hour link to Trademeet AR2000. Travel time to Trademeet remains 20 hours, though, because you travel 12 to Windspear and then 8 to Trademeet.
The Temple Ruins is another area that changes after you defeat the Shade Lord, and shares many of the same problems as the de'Arnise Hold.
Before the Shade Lord's defeat, it is AR1400 and has a 12 hour link to the Umar Hills AR1100 and a 24 hour link to the City Gates AR0020. After the Shade Lord's defeat, it becomes AR1404. The Umar Hills link remains correct, but the City Gates are now only 16 hours away. On top of that, City Gates AR0020 to before and after Temple Ruins AR1400 and AR1404 is 20 hours.
Many areas have inconsistent one-way travel times.
- City Gates AR0020 to Umar Hills is 20 hours, return trip is 24. If you have completed the de'Arnise Hold, this seems like it's only a 20 hour journey, as you go 12 hours to the Keep AR1304 and then 8 hours to the City Gates AR0020.
- City Gates AR0020 to Windspear AR1200 is 20 hours, return is 24. This also is masked by the buggy de'Arnise AR1304 to City Gates bug mentioned above.
- City Gates AR0020 to Druid Grove AR1900 is 24 hours, return trip is only 20.
- City Gates AR0020 to Trademeet AR2000 is 20 hours, return is 16.
- City Gates AR0020 to pre-Shade Lord Temple Ruins AR1400 is 20 hours, return is 24.
- City Gates AR0020 to post-Shade Lord Temple Ruins AR1404 is 20 hours, return is 16.
- Trademeet AR2000 to Windspear AR1200 is 4 hours, return is 12.
- Underdark Exit AR2500 to Small Teeth Pass AR1700 is 4 hours, return is 8.
- Windspear AR1200 to post-TorGal de'Arnise Hold AR1304 is 12 hours, return is 8.
Many areas miss reciprocal travel links, causing inconsistent travel times.
- City Gates AR0020 has a 20 hour link to the Small Teeth Pass AR1700, but there is no return link. Small Teeth to City Gates is 24 (8 to Underdark Exit AR2500 plus 16 to Gates). Small Teeth to Underdark Exit should only be 4 hours anyway, as noted above.
- Forest of Tethir AR2600 to Small Teeth Pass AR1700 is 8 hours, no return link. Small Teeth to Forest of Tethir is 16 hours (8 to North Forest AR1800 plus 8 to Forest of Tethir).
- North Forest AR1800 to Forest of Tethir AR2600 is 8 hours, no return link. Forest of Tethir to North Forest is 16 hours (8 to Small Teeth Pass AR1700 plus 8 to North Forest).
- Watcher's Keep was missing travel links from several SoA areas. You could also skip the Oasis area outright by travelling through Watcher's Keep.
It seems that travel times were laid out roughly by distance. For example, the trip from Trademeet to the Forest of Tethir is 52 hours, despite a fairly close proximity on the map. Trips from Athkatla to the de'Arnise Hold and Windspear are the same, despite de'Arnise being much closer on the map. Direct travel links between areas have been added to address these issues. You could also encounter Drizzt more than once in a random encounter in chapter 6.
Stores Have Infinite Magical Items
Several stores have infinite quantities of items. While it's common for non-magical items (particularly ammunition such as arrows or bolts) to be in infinite quantities at stores, the magical items should not be infinite. In a few cases, normal items were made to be finite in quantity, as there were other factors that made the infinite flag look suspect (such as a nonzero quantity). In a few cases, these items also lacked an identified flag as well.
- Arcana Archives (25spell2.sto): Removed infinite flag from Shadow Door (scrl2h.itm)
- Shadow Thief Fence (arled.sto): Removed infinite flags from Katana +1 (sw1h44.itm), Two-Handed Sword +1 (sw2h02.itm), and Halberd +1 (halb02.itm)
- Five Flagons (bdbart01.sto): Removed infinite flag from the History of the Fateful Coin (book40.itm)
- Copper Coronet (bernard2.sto): Removed infinite flag from Prismatic Spray (scrl8p.itm)
- Five Flagons (ffbart.sto): Removed infinite flag from the History of the Fateful Coin (book40.itm)
- Gorch (gorch.sto): Removed infinite flag from Mace +2 (blun21.itm)
- Karthis al-Hezzar (hgkar01.sto): Removed infinite flag from Club +3 (blun31.itm)
- Copper Coronet (lehtinan.sto): Removed infinite flag from the History of the Fateful Coin (book40.itm)
- Merchant (ppstor01.sto): Removed infinite flag from Dart +1 (dart02.itm)
- Adventurers' Mart (ribald.sto): Removed infinite flags from Ring of Animal Control (ring03.itm) and Ring of Air Control (ring28.itm)
- Adventurers' Mart (ribald2.sto): Removed infinite flag from Potion of Agility (potn19.itm)
- Adventurers' Mart (ribald3.sto): Removed infinite flags from Heartseeker +3 (bow10.itm), Warblade +4 (sw2h09.itm), and Two-Handed Sword +2 (sw2h11.itm)
- Waukeen's Wares (sartem01.sto): Removed infinite flag from Elven Holy Water (miscau.itm)
- Merchant (shop03.sto): Removed infinite flag from Bullets +1 (bull02.itm)
- Merchant (shop07.sto): Removed infinite flag from Large Shield (shld05.itm)
- Sea's Bounty (thumb.sto): Removed infinite flag from the History of the Fateful Coin (book40.itm)
- Khan Zahraa (trgeni01.sto): Removed infinite flags from Katana +1 (sw1h44.itm), Two-Handed Sword +1 (sw2h02.itm), and Halberd +1 (halb02.itm)
- Anvil of the Right (trmer04.sto): Removed infinite flag from Potion of Agility (potn19.itm)
- Anvil of the Right (trmer04a.sto): Removed infinite flag from Two-Handed Sword +2 (sw2h11.itm)
- Adventurers' Mart (type2.sto): Removed infinite flags from Splint Mail +1 (chan05.itm), Potion of Agility (potn19.itm), and Katana +1 (sw1h44.itm)
- Merchant (uddrow23.sto): Removed infinite flag from Harbinger +3 (sw2h07.itm)
BG2 shipped with some bad references in its key file. The four items and two areas, though unused, are removed from the key file to eliminate issues with editing applications. The following resources are removed: iplot01k.itm, iplot04g.itm, iplot04h.itm, iplot04i.itm, xr2400.are, and xr2600.are (chitin.key)
Fixed Bug That Prevents Saving Games (OS X Only)
On the OS X version of the game, 'temp' would be created as a file instead of a folder. This would prevent the player from saving their game. If 'temp' is a file, Fixpack will change it to a folder. (temp, if file, changed into folder)
Load Hint Fixes
With Throne of Bhaal installed, the list of available load hints for both games no longer matches. The missing load hints from the two lists are added to each other. The load hint that says you can import your characters to Neverwinter Nights is removed as NWN does not allow importation. A load hint about Watcher's Keep is now available in the SoA part of the game with ToB installed. (loadh25.2da, loadhint.2da)
Temples Lacked Descriptions for Spell Offerings
Temples which offer Cure Medium Wounds did not have a description for it. (speldesc.2da)
Name of Arcana Archives is Incorrect
Lazarus Librarus refers to his store as the Arcana Archives in his opening dialogue, but in the actual store screen it was using the name 'Pen and Parchment'. Pen and Parchment is the name of the store that Lady Yuth runs in the back of the Adventurers' Mart. (25spell.sto, 25spell2.sto)
Stores With Duplicate Item Entries
Two stores in the game have two entries for Large Shields +1, but lack any entries for normal large shields. The duplicate entry, based on its ordering and other parameters, can be determined to be intended as the missing normal large shield entry, and is changed. (ribald.sto, shop02.sto)
Stores Selling Stacks of One Throwing Axe
Save for these shops, normal throwing axes are always sold in stacks of five. (bshop02.sto, garlena.sto, sahpr1.sto, suelf10.sto)
Missing Sound Files
In many places throughout BG2, the game references non-existent sound files. However, many of the sound files are in Baldur's Gate and were simply not included in BG2. To fix the errors, we simply include the relevant sound files from BG. (misc_01b.wav, misc_01c.wav, misc_03a.wav, misc_04a.wav, misc_06b.wav, montr10.wav, pre_p06.wav, shael_07.wav, shael_08.wav, shael_09.wav, shael_10.wav)
Infinite Gold Store Exploit
At the City of Caverns Temple and again from the elf merchant in Suldanessellar, the store markups are set in such a way so that a very high charisma PC can buy and sell the same item repeatedly to the merchant and make a profit. The markups have been adjusted to more conventional levels to eliminate this exploit. (sahpr1.sto, suelf10.sto)
The gem bags sold by the Amketheran smugglers and Arledrian (upstairs from Gaelan Bayle) use the same resources, so items placed in one will also appear in the other. A new resource is created for the Amketheran smugglers' store. The merchant who you can help at the City Gates and the store at Brynnlaw were using the same store. (aemerch.dlg, amsmug01.sto, amsmug02.sto, cdaemerc.sto, cdbag02i.itm, cdbag02i.sto, cdbag02j.itm, cdbag02j.sto)
Arcana Archives Lacks Spells
First: who would have thought someone named Lazarus Librarus would end up running a scroll shop? Second: his store, Arcana Archives, is supposed to have every spell in the game, but lacked scrolls for Sleep and Protection from Petrification. (25spell.sto, 25spell2.sto)